My second visit to the Daylily Farm

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by cherylad, May 5, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Today was my big day... my second visit to the Daylily Farm. I went in October and bought a few things that I picked out from their website. But this time, I wanted to see everything in bloom. I did jot down a few names from the website photos just to help me out. But when I got there and saw everything "in person"... so much for the list! I had a plan though... and I was going to stick to it (yeah right!). I was only going to get either one "red" and one "purple". Better yet... probably two "purples" since I have some "reddish" ones already. And I owe Stratsmom/Deanna one in exchange for the cute miniature Tropical Delight she sent me. So that's it Cheryl.... three plants and go home (yeah right).
    I asked if it was okay if took photos and they said "of course! Show 'em to everyone and give them directions on how to find us!"
    So here's a few pictures of the "sale area". There were other areas that were used for either extra growing... and the lady breeds her own too. Not to mention their own private garden area.

[​IMG]
    daylily farm ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I stroll around and see one that just called out... "take me home with you". It wasn't on their website and unfortunately, I broke off it's one bloom. But still just had to take a it's picture... it's called Black Plush. And you can see why!

[​IMG]
    Daylily - Black Plush ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Daylily - Black Plush ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Then I see this "red" one... waving to me! It's called Carolyn Hendrix.

[​IMG]
    Daylily - Carolyn Hendrix ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Now I needed a "purple". That's right... I was only going to get purple. There were too many and I couldn't decide. So I check out my list and ask about the one I really liked from the website. It wasn't in bloom yet. So this photo is from their website...Royal Glory.

[​IMG]
    Daylily - Royal Glory ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And last but not least... one for Stratsmom. And when I saw the name of this little beauty, I knew it was the one!
    You see... Stratsmom saw my post last fall about getting daylilies and said she wanted to send me one and that I didn't owe her anything in return. I convinced her to let me send her one from the farm this spring and she requested a miniature. Her BIG gesture in sending me that cute little daylily really touched me. So, the name of the one I chose for her "Small Gesture"!

[​IMG]
    Daylilies - Small Gesture ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Daylily - Small Gesture ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I told the guy that I would be mailing it to a friend. So he cut the tops back and gave me instructions on how to care for it and package it. So I'm going to be the first person at the post office on Monday morning!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Deanna is going to be so pleased when she sees her new Daylily. I can see why you chose it as it was sooo obviously meant to be the one for her. :D

I love the Black Plush you got for yourself. I really don't know how you managed to restrain yourself and buy just three for yourself though. I wouldn't have been able to summon up enough self control and would have gone home with at least twice that amount. :oops:

3. cherylad

Eileen... I sure hope she likes it and that grows well for her. She deserves it.
    And it wasn't hard for me at all to restrain myself this time... limited on space to put them (until I expand the daylily bed this summer/fall). And I only had so much I could spend and that's all I brought with me. I did stop at a garage sale on the way back... and still made it home with $2 to spare! :stew2:

4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Oh Man, I loved the pics!!! That was such a great thing for Stratsmom...she's going to just cry and the name just says it all "Small Gesture".

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!! :setf_016: :setf_016: :setf_016: I'm doing cart wheels here!!! I LOVE IT!!!! CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT!!
    Thank you Thank you Thank you :-D :-D :-D
    Lucky me Lucky me :p
    That place looks really neat!!! Wish I could have gone with you!

6. cherylad

Hope it brings you as much joy at Tropical Delight is giving me! :stew2:

7. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I like the two shades of purple of Royal Glory.

Cayuga Morning likes this.