My tribute to the world's most frequent Invention!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Dec 16, 2012.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Here it is people, the complete design of something which I too ended up doing - Something that every other inventor in the world also either thinks up of doing, or actually attempts building it at least once in a lifetime! :idea:

Some of course end up falling into this trap, and so keep designing a better mousetrap for their entire life - So I hope that doesn't happen to me now!!! :D

Anyway, enjoy the video! :stew1:

https://vimeo.com/55668514

Donna S, Jerry Sullivan and sewNsow like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have only ever used humane mouse traps. We relocate the mice we catch but never harm them as they are just fieldmice. The humane trap on the video is a little complicated but would certainly work well.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes Eileen, ever since I too can remember - We also only used humane mousetraps in the house (but mostly because removing the carcass of a rat from a trap is another headache which no one really wants)...

Mice too have nowadays become EXTREMELY clever (maybe they too have got their own Internet or something)! :D So whenever you set up a death trap, they somehow avoid it (maybe because their instinct of self preservation is very sharp).

But when you set a humane trap, they get caught 100% of the time! Of course, now comes the problem of releasing them - Therefore I then quietly set them free in my neighbor's property. So that they become his headache!!! :D

Seriously though, I REALLY hate to kill innocent insects, animals, birds, fish, or even plants. Rats are of course not innocent at all, as they can spread a lot of disease. But as I had said so before, removing the carcass of a rat is another headache which I don't need!

I guess the only exceptions which I will make (when it comes to killing upon sight) - Is when it comes to snakes, scorpions, and of course termites...

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am not so humane. These are destructive and filthy creatures. They carry diseases, ruin food and destroy property getting to the food.

S-H...they most likely come right back to your property because that is "home" to them.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I am a fur hugger and four-footer admirer, but I get rid of mice. Actually, the little field mice are easy to keep out of the house. We have a cat, and although she expects me to handle all the distasteful chores, just having her on the premises discourages the mice from moving in.
    The hens take care of mice in the barn. You don't want to know how . . . .

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So if they have their own Internet do they you a people to move their curser around? :rolleyes:

carolyn likes this.
  8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The mouse looks a little on the chubby side S-H. Did you use the same mouse through out the 'testing phase' of your mouse trap? Great video. Have you ever thought about dipping their tails in food coloring to see if any come back?

Jerry

9. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Good work. I often have DH build things I see on net but I don't think he would do this.
    Living in an old country house it is impossible to keep them out.We resort to poison in attic & basement corners.Of course then there is that awful smell! We hate those nasty little buggers.Sometimes use the regular old trap. He gets the honors of disposal.
    My cats always look at them in total disdain."You think I'd eat that?"
    sNs

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

I used to catch them in traps(the old fashion kind) in my feed room. I fed the dead ones to Pedro,, our roadrunner.

11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I agree with you 100%! As they are all extremely filthy creatures (without question)! But as I had said before, I don't want to deal with removing a dead rat from a trap (as that's just too disgusting for me). :oops:

And no, they don't come back, as the compound wall between me and my neighbor is about 8 feet high. Besides, there isn't anything for them to eat at my place - So the majority of nice that come here are generally lost (and very hungry).

Must Interesting indeed! Funny too, about how your cat expects you to do all the distasteful chores! :D

No way, I am not touching a single one of these vile creatures. Yes, I will not kill them (as they too are after all mammals) - But that's as far as I'll go! So no, I have never ever considered food-coloring their tails to see if they ever come back. :-D

And yes, I caught one mouse with this trap a day before I started filing. I even gave him (or her) ample food and water too (as I wanted him at his peak, to act in front of my camera) - I had actually built a small enclosure of cement bricks, and place my trap in the opening (so that mouse had no choice but to go into it again, on camera this time). That is how I got the shot of him (or her) triggering the trap! After which I simply deported the little critter!!! :D

Of course, once the mouse was fed, he didn't want to trigger the trap. So I had to wait for many hours until I got the shot that I wanted - It really doesn't seem like it in the video, but it was damn frustrating to capture on camera!

Yes, all pets who are raised in good homes are like that. Only the ones that are strays (and so always hungry) will kill nice upon sight. Otherwise, they simply will not want to touch a rodent.

12. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I was a hav-a-hart trap guy. Raccoon and opossum, squirrel mainly. State Biologists at fish and game wrote an article in the hunting season guide pointing out the cruelty caused by dislocation. Water sources and food sources lacking, competition and fighting and so forth. I mainly use glue traps because I have mice even figured out how to let them go, and they go back outside. And the traps work well. And we have raptors.