my visitors over the weekend

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by tschnath, May 14, 2008.

1. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Some of these pics were taken through a window so I'm sorry if they aren't great but...

Caught this one out back, a gold finch in flight. An accidental pic but I'll take it.
    [​IMG]

My oriole in the magolia (rikki) tree.
    [​IMG]

Oriole on the humming bird feeder.
    [​IMG]

OK, now he's got the right one.
    [​IMG]

Humming bird perched in the lilac. They like to sit here and chase each other off. The feeders are above and to the left (out of view).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cat bird and I know it's hard to see because my pics not that close up but look behind him on the feeder dish hanging in the tree (it's a chippy).
    [​IMG]

Chippy looking for food. There's a hole in this tree (right where he's sitting) and DD#2 (she's 4) likes to put food in it so he can go down and get it. He's fun to watch.
    [​IMG]

A visitor we usually get once a year. He must pass through this way...a red breasted grosbeak. He was in the tree (up and to the right of the gazebo feeder) so it's kind of far away but I was so excited to see him I had to share it anyway.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wonderful pictures, especially the Finch in flight. Sometime the accidental ones are the best.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

And chipmunks also... how great. Do you like them around your yard or can they be a pest? I ask because I truly have no idea.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

These are very nice animal fotos. The birds seem exotic. That is to say, because we do not have them here. I would like to have a closer look at that red-breasted grosbeak. You have a good variety there at your feeder.
    More fotos would be nice.;) I like to see birds.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What an exotic array of birds you get visiting your garden and feeders!!! I'd love to be able to sit and watch chipmonks but the nearest I have are pesky grey squirrels!! :(

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

great variety of birds. I like seeing the humming birds. Thanks for posting.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your birds are beautiful, and I'd like to see them live. :D They don't resemble any of our wild birds. We haven't got chipmonks here, but they look like lots of fun.

9. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Frank, I've never found the chipmonks to be any kind of pest except for emptying my bird feeders in a day. But since I've gotten the hanging feeder in the tree, I put squarrel food (dried corn, peanuts, sunflowers, and other stuff) in that for them they leave the bird ones alone. Unless I forget to fill theirs of course. LOL! They are actually fun to watch, they are very busy all the time.

Sjoerd, if I can get a closer pic of the red breasted grosbeak I definately will, but I haven't seen him since I took that pic so my guess is I won't get another pic till next year when they are passing through again. Sorry!

I like seeing all of the pics posted here because they are different than mine. There really is a good variety here though and I enjoy watching and trying to take pics of them.

10. catswhiskers

catswhiskers New Seed

Beautiful photos.

11. xylona

xylona Seedling

Oh these are really good. I love birds, they are so neat to watch.
    I have seen a few chipmunks here when I would go for walks with my co-worker, but I haven't seen any around my house. We have a ton of squirrels too, but they usually stay somewhat away from our yard...I don't think they care for the neighborhood cats.