Narcissistic Tendencies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There are several names for this plant--Daffodil, Daffadowndilly, jonquil....Narcissus.

Over the years, I have gotten some of these bulbs as gifts, as thank you's, and I don't know from where all...I did not buy them though. No hang on a minute-- I think that I have indeed bought a pack of them once. The result is that I have little groups in many places and they do brighten-up the messy drabness of the sleeping Neanderthal that I call a garden.

Many of my daffs do not even look like daffs in the centre of their blooms. I don't know what got into them....they are lovely though, through their ugliness.

Today I will let the ladies parade down the catwalk...an overview in the plum tree plot:
    daffy's.jpg

The following three show a sort of variation the bulb developers have come up with.
    daff01.jpg

daff.jpg

daff02.jpg

A basic white trumpet:
    daff04.jpg

I am not sure what happened here. I have never seen this one before.
    daff06.jpg

A yet another variance:
    daff03a.jpg

There were even more, but they are either bloomed-out or the slugs have gotten them.

At any rate, hopefully these foto's help get you guys in the "Spring Mood".

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They certainly make a lovely show at this time of year don't they? I have many variations in my garden too although most of them were supposed to be the regular daffodils. I really don't mind them doing their own thing as it adds interest. I would love to have some of the all white trumpets you have as, so far, none have shown face here. Maybe I'll invest in some for next year.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes they do, Eileen. I agree with you that when they do their own thing, that very interesting things can result. I wish I knew the name of them...but they were some that were a gift bag full given years ago. If you find the name let me know...there is a grower here in the area and they sell seconds, so one can pick up a bag of 15 or 20 for ~1 euro. If you are here in oct-nov we'll go and have a look together.
    I like those white ones purely for their simplicity and their original daff form.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Nothing gets rid of the winter 'blahs' like Daffodils!

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes...it works for me.
    I sometimes forget to look when we have a busy spring here.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sj those are some beauties. Mine are in full bloom also and tonight I just picked a few to enjoy indoors. To bad about the slugs. So far it has been to cold for those slimy little buggers.:stew1:

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That's great 2T...and thanks for the compliment.
    Would you show some pics of your daffs? I am always on the lookout for new flowers.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sjoerd I just went out a took a few pic's of the Daffy's that are open so far. DSCN4557.JPG DSCN4558.JPG DSCN4562.JPG DSCN4563.JPG As I was taking the pic's I saw a little Bumble Bee hiding in one of the flowers. The next pictures are in the front of the house. DSCN4565.JPG I think that this is a Narcissus. I love the bright orange color around the center cup. Also I have so many Scillia siberica growing everywhere in the front flower beds. They are even in the lawn. I guess they are often considered invasive. But they are just so pretty, and die back early. DSCN4567.JPG I also have Anemone flowers, in pink purple, lavender, and white ones. They are closed up in the picture as the sun is setting soon and they go to bed early. Not sure what the white flower clump is. Maybe some type of Scillia. I'll have to do a online search DSCN4568.JPG I'll post more pic's when the rest of my Daffy's open up.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

So sweet of you to post those flower pics. They are gorgeous! I like the Scillia's. They are delicate and quite stunning, I feel. I am already eager to see more when they bloom.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank you Sjoerd. I will try a get some photo's today as they said it will get close to freezing tonight. :(Hoping my Daffy's next to the house are ok. I hate to cut them all and bring them in.

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké 2T. I look forward to seeing them.

I have been covering some plants in my lottie for the past few days, but I will not have time to make it out to the gardens today, so I am hoping against hope that it will not freeze tonight.

I sure hope that your plants will be alright. It has been my exerience that daffs can stand some freezing. Fingers crossed for you.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sj---here are a few pic's of my happy little Anemones showing off their faces in the sunshine. I covered my Daffy's up last night with an old hole down comforter and will do so tonight also.I hate to take any chances as it is quite a large bunch. Hope your gardens survived the night.

In the pic's the Scillia looks very blue against the lavender Anemones. As well as the Scillia spreading, so do the Anemones. I love it. More flowers and no work involved.
    First pic is what my front flower bed looks. The second pic is of a up close of those happy Anemones when the sun is shining DSCN4576.JPG DSCN4577.JPG .

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2T--I telly you, I am swept-away with those woods anemone's of yours. I have a few of those in my "shade garden". I have blue, lavender, white and yellow ones. The patch is small and spread out a bit, but every year I have more. I really like these, and seeing that large patch that you have is really impressive.

Having the Scillia in-between is a nice touch and really does give a sort of woodsy feel to your patch. The tint of blue that the Scillia have is VERY nice, I find.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank You SJ. I love a more natural looking flower garden. It doesn't need as much work as some of the other ones I have.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, I like that look as well in my own garden. I cant garden like that in the veggie patches though.--there I have to have order.

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.