Need a hardy plant That stands up to my dog.

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by cyoung35, May 13, 2008.

1. cyoung35

cyoung35 New Seed

I live in southern California and we have a dog that loves to dig around our plants in the back yard. Needless to say they keep dying because of this. The yard gets sunlight most of the day and we need some advice on some plants that are good and sturdy to withstand the summer heat and the dreaded DIGGING DOG! P.S. I told my wife not to buy that darn dog! (I hope she reads this...lol)

2. Loading...

3. trudy

trudy In Flower

I use to have that problem a long time ago an best I remember I would take a tomato cage an cut it in half to make 2. The dog can't get to it to dig. It also worked on keeping the weed eater away.

As far as plants, go with drought tolerant plants. Depending on what you like of course. My suggestions would be like lantanas, verbenas, vinca, roses, yarrows, ivy (non invasive ones), bulbs, lillies like daylillies, cannas. You can google drought tolerant plants of California most likely an get all kinds of hits. I know there are some restrictions in your state on some plants. But even those I mentioned will need some watering til they get established as would anything planted. Good luck.

4. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Have you tried any of the commercial products to keep dogs away from certain areas? Worth a try.
    Digging is such an ingrained instinct for some dogs - its so hard to break. If there is one bad area that a dog will not leave alone - I toss the dog waste there. But then them move to another area!
    Good luck.

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Some of the products that are available at pet stores and lawn and garden stores are pepper based and dogs hate that smell and it makes them sneeze and stay away. :stew2:

6. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Cactus would work well. Mix some in the flower beds and it will learn that going in there hurts...LOL!