Need advise for starting a vegetable garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by stevenielsen, Sep 18, 2013.

1. stevenielsen

stevenielsen New Seed

I want to make vegetable gardening a hobby but I don't know where to start. I am a beginner gardener. What should I consider first? Basically, I have a small space at the backyard with good exposure to sunlight. This is about 400 - 500 square feet I think.

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd start by getting rid of the grass/weeds. Amend your soil if it's needed... by adding compost or fertilizer.
    Or you could go the raised bed approach. Build some "boxes" and fill with soil.
    Then think of what foods you want to grow and how many people you want to feed.
    Not sure where you live, but check with your local nurseries for varieties that are recommended for your area/weather conditions, etc.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good advice from Cheryl! Also, make sure of what amendments you need before you jump in. If you plan an in-ground garden, have the soil tested. If you have a County Agricultural Agent, he/she can help you get the test done. If not, try the university closest to you. Raised beds you can control the soil mix, but you'll have to add soil and compost yearly.
    Decide what vegetables you want to plant, and read up on them. Corn takes a lot of space for a relatively small yield; green beans can be succession planted (a new row or half-row every two weeks) to have a steady supply; tomatoes and peppers can be grown in 5 gal. containers to save garden space; squash comes in both bush and vining types, with bush being better for the small garden; and lettuces, especially the leaf types, are easily grown.
    Please tell us where you are, since some areas can have two gardens a year, and colder ones only one. Also, the types of vegetables vary as to region. I've heard okra doesn't do all that well in Maine!

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

You would be surprised at what you can grow in a small space. Knowing where you are located will help. Preparing the garden area and getting the soil loose, workable and as close to weed free as possible would be a starting point. Although it may take a season or two remove all weeds and grass. Look and see what others can grow well in your area.
    And don`t take it too seriously. Some people analyze their garden to death. Have fun with it!

Advertisement
  6. stevenielsen

stevenielsen New Seed

Thanks guys for the help. I've started weeding yesterday. Next step I think would be testing the soil. DIY tips anyone? Our neighbor suggested a raised garden system. I can create the beds but I have no idea about the soil.

By the way I live in Phoenix, AZ. They said we have double growing seasons here.I would like to grow tomatoes, green beans, carrots, and onions.Thanks again guys!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Also, plant what you know your family will eat and maybe one or two new veggies to try out. For many years I would plant Okra but finally realized that while we do like it once in a while, we never eat enough to justify having it take up garden space.

Also, how many hours of sunlight does you future garden area get? Veggies need 6+ hours.

Most garden centers (probably not the big box stores though) will carry soil testing kits provided by your local County Extension Office and the college associated with it, follow the directions about gathering the soil, send it off to the college lab and they will send you an analysis of your soil condition and what you may need to add or not.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Not sure about your climate but going into fall you may want to stick with those plants that do well in cooler weather. I am in Texas and we also have a double season, Spring and Fall. Tomatoes and some green beans do better in the spring. Fall would be onions, lettuce, broccoli, turnips & greens, rutabaga, cabbage,cauliflower and others.