Need Help Getting Started in Interior Design

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Aimee-Louise, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Aimee-Louise

Aimee-Louise New Seed

Hey I am a 16 year old Interior Design student, I will have a level 1 qualification in a few weeks. My tutor is an Interior Designer her self and she is very impressed with the work I hand in and thinks I could be a professional. I have been thinking of doing a home learning course in January which will result in a Level 3 qualification then a diploma. If anyone has any tips on getting started professionally in Interior Design or any ideas where I can go from here it will be much appreciated.

Thankyou. xxx :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Natitude

Natitude New Seed

Unfortunately I'm just a wanna-be designer, with no formal training, other than doing my own home design. I'm not sure what the next step is professionally, but I do know there are lots of places online to start show casing your work. Good luck to you!! :-D

4. darren

darren New Seed

Its surprising for me as there was a time when I was desperately looking for an interior designer but could not get one and when the need is no more I come across so many of them. Well the person above me has said correctly. It would help the cause of both the prospective designers as well as the people looking for them if there work or even details about them are available from a website. At least my purpose would have been served that time, but then again the need may come again and I may not have to be in despair that time.

5. stacy131

stacy131 New Seed

Wow, I had no clue you could get started so young. I am a drapery designer and we do business with many interior designers. Now, many of them work from home and spend a lot of time and money advertising both online, locally, and similar trades.

Advertisement
  6. designeronline

designeronline New Seed

I am a professional interior designer and have been self employed for years BUT I had to start by working for other designers (as an intern at first) and then larger design firms. This is the best way to get started and get the needed experience. I would suggest working for several different design firms for at least 5 to 7 years before considering going out on your own. There is so much to learn about dealing with clients, sources, contractors, paperwork, etc. that exceeds beyond the actual creative design work, and this is the type of education you can not get from a design school. Good luck, and please feel free to ask any questions.

7. dan82

dan82 New Seed

yeah..I think there is a lot of information online..and there you can buy some very good books too..to help you start..