Need help with curtains

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by caffrey, Feb 3, 2008.

1. caffrey

caffrey New Seed

Hi all,

I am having real trouble picking out curtains - it's driving me nuts! My walls are painted with two shades of mint green which I love but picking out curtains has been a challenge. Can you guys offer me any advice. Here's on pic although it was taken more for the piece of furniture I just bought rather than the room - I can take more if it will help.

Thanks for any and all help.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi, and welcome. :)

The room appears to have a very serene sort of vibe,
    and it looks as though your trim and ceiling are white,
    would crisp, white linen curtains appeal to you . . .
    or are you looking for something heavier or more formal?

Oh, :D and I LOVE that piece of furniture, BTW!

4. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

What other colors are in the room? Carpets? Upholstered furniture?
    I thought a white or off white with details, in the pattern of those 2 greens. In leaves, flowers, even something geometric.

5. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I vote for LACEY curtains in any room.. I am a lace lover.........
    Mine are white of off white ...WIth plenty of designs.

b

Advertisement
  6. caffrey

caffrey New Seed

Thank you, thank you for your replies! I so appreciate it!

Thanks zuzu. It is more serene now that we have pretty much banished the kids toys! :)

We have a rug that has reds and creams in it. A brown leather chair. A sofa and arm chair in a beige ribbed material (which I don't like much but it is SO comfy and oversized). I will try to get some more pics tomorrow.

The room has lots of window space that I need to cover from floor to almost ceiling. I want my house to feel comfortable and lived in - not too formal but still polished. What do you think of these fabrics?

I am going to need to order samples to start with but I want to get a good idea of what will work first so that I'm not wasting my time. Thank you for all your help!

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I would use the 2nd one for the outside part and use lace or sheers to cover the inside.

Vertical blinds make an excellent cover up for the picture window .....2 neighbors have it ..
    I like that.

8. caffrey

caffrey New Seed

Thanks bsewnsew. I have the front windows frosted from floor to chest height to prevent prying eyes so I'm not looking at sheers right now. The house had vertical blinds installed in every window when we moved in and we took them all out as we thought they felt a bit sterile. The house certainly looks different from when we moved in!

I think I might just take your advice on the lace for the landing and hallway though - it sounds so beautiful and feminine!

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I love the third one and would definately have it my own cottage!! It has such a delicate pattern and wouldn't clash with anything else in your room. If you can then try to get tie-backs with your curtains as they set a room of nicely.

10. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

The third one is so soft - I really love it
    The fourth and fifth ones look very formal.

I would probably go over board and use either number three for the cottagy look.
    Or I would use number one and four combined for a formal look.

11. caffrey

caffrey New Seed

Thank you all so much for your input. It helps to know that I am on the right track. I guess I need to go ahead and order some samples now. Thank you!

12. stacy131

stacy131 New Seed

I'd go with something with a large print. It would create a good balance with the large and massive furniture that you have.

I personally don't think lace goes there, you need something with more substance. The cream and white floral above is Waverly's Magnolia Vine. It's been discontinued a long time ago so you'll have a hard time finding it. Try Waverly Garden Images. It's a larger and richer print and is still available to buy out there.