Need help with these varieties Four O'Clock Please Look

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by BotanicalBoi, Dec 20, 2015.

1. BotanicalBoi

BotanicalBoi New Seed

I have always wanted a flower bed of different varieties of the Four 0'Clock plant. While some may not be suitable for my area, I would still love to give them a try! There were my Mom's favorite. She grew them for most of my life. Wishing I had some of her seed! :) Sort of a "Memory Garden" for Mama. I have tried many sources online and just can not find these for sale, let alone trade. Someone has GOT to know a way for me to find these! Ideas? Referrals? Anything? Please? :)

Winged Four O'Clock (Mirabilis alipes)

Hairy-Tuft Four O'Clock (Mirabilis comata)

Broadleaf Four O'Clock (Mirabilis decipiens)

Giant Four O'Clock (Mirabilis gigantea)

Flat-Top Four O'Clock (Mirabilis glabrifolia)

Bashful Four O'Clock (Mirabilis pudica)

Macfarlane's Four O'Clock (Mirabilis macfarlanei)

I think that is all. Just the impossible for me, I tell ya! lol

Also interest in any other of these that you might of knowledge of how to obtain.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most of the species you list are found only in the far western states of the U.S. with hot and dry conditions. Some appear to be possibly endangered wildflowers so seeds will not be available to anyone.
    One not on your list, Mirabilis longiflora, is available at https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=688

If your growing conditions do not provide what they need, your garden will be more work and sadness when they do not thrive than a memorial garden should be. It might be a more pleasant memorial garden and experience for you with the plants that she loved and had success growing in her garden....and that was most likely the Mirabilis jalapa.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello BB,

Welcome to the website. Mirabilis. I have had many colours of Mirabilis, but they have all been the Mirabilis jalapa. The interesting thing about Mirabilis jalapa is that different-coloured flowers can appear on the same plant.

I can see why your mum would like these plants. I like their looks too annnnnd the fragrance is just superb.

I grow them in the lottie, but then dig them up and keep them inside during the winter, for they would freeze. I do not know what sort of weather you have in your country, but if it is warmer than here, perhaps they can stay in the ground all year round.

I have never encountered the other types of Mirabilis in my country that you have mentioned above. At any rate, keep us posted on your progress.

BotanicalBoi likes this.
  5. BotanicalBoi

BotanicalBoi New Seed

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I grew up in a military household. While traveling the US, Mom collected seeds of the varieties that I am looking for. She grew them for many years here in Ga. Many had to have special treatment but they did well for her. Some she even grew in their own pots and planted the pots in her garden during the growing season. I now have the longiflora from my list thanks to a very generous donation. I also received a lead on the Macfarlane's Four O'Clock. Wish me luck as I try to dwindle my list down :) Thanks guys.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you do any wildcrafting , be sure they are not on an endangered species list in that area and that you have permission of the landowner to harvest them.
    Good luck with your quest.

BotanicalBoi likes this.
  7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Gosh, I didn't realize there were so many kinds......

8. BotanicalBoi

BotanicalBoi New Seed

Update. I am now only missing the following. Anyone have access to these varieties?
    Winged Four O'Clock (Mirabilis alipes) - Working on a lead! :)
    Giant Four O'Clock (Mirabilis gigantea)
    Flat-Top Four O'Clock (Mirabilis glabrifolia)
    Bashful Four O'Clock (Mirabilis pudica)

A new addition that I did not expect but was so happy to receive...Mirabilis expansa! Thanks for the help guys!

purpleinopp likes this.