Need Ideas For Some Winter House Plants

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Public Designs, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Public Designs

Public Designs Seedling

Hi
    I get so forelorn in the winter without any green to look at. I want to have some vines or greenery that I can keep without too much upkeep in the house. I have a green house window in my bathroom where they can get a lot of light but I think it gets kind of cold there so I would need something that is not dependent on heat.
    I need some suggestions on things that would be on the smaller side and would grow and thrive in my window or on a shelf in my office by my TV.
    Thanks in advance

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've got orchids. They don't like bright sunshine, which is perfect for us. In summer I chuck them out on the balcony, and bring them back inside when temps are around 10C/50F. They bloom for us during autumn and winter. I water them about once a week, but don't feed them until some time in spring when their air root tips are starting to show green. That means they're growing and need to be fed. I use orchid fertilizer that is diluted in water, and just dip the pot in the bucket, count to ten and pull it back up. All our orchids have pebbles inside their outer pots to allow excess water to drain off without leaving the orchid with wet feet. The Phalaenopsis orchids are the simplest to grow. People place them in north- or west-facing windows.

4. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

I like poinsettas in winter but they are not good with drafts so would be better in your office, my moms we bougght her has survived from last winter, they like tepid water, but not too much of it.

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I have orchids and coleous (spelling) The orchids are in bud now, but little bud, they will get bigger then bloom. The other i have around for the color. I don't let them flower at all. I keep pinching back the flower shoot and i get huge really colorful leaves all winter long. And they do grow fast, and easy to make more from.

Advertisement
  6. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

For vines and greenery- philodendrons always performed well for me. I have one that spent two years in a room without windows before it came to me. Ivy, fittonia, Japanese aralia and maidenhair fern do well in shady areas of your home too. When I lived in NJ, I had a greenhouse window in an unheated room that I used to start seeds. I grew narcissus there during the winter to brighten up my days. I had some spider plants there as well.

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I forgot i also have a jade plant.

8. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I have brought my coleus's in the house and will make new plants from them this winter. Also geraniums. I have tons of spider plants. sometimes I like to play with seeds during the winter just to see what will grow.

9. Public Designs

Public Designs Seedling

OK I went crazy yesterday for me. I went out and bought a philodendron, a pilea, an African violet that I asked about in another post and a dracaena. The philodendron I have had before and know they are easy to take care of. The other two said they are medium to low light and I hope they are easy too.
    If anyone knows any tricks to the other two I would apprciate it.
    I am going to get some poinsettas when they come in. I always have those for the holidays and love the color.

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your new plants! :D Sounds like you've made a good selection there.

11. Public Designs

Public Designs Seedling

Thanks so far, so good. They all seem to be thriving. The philodendron I have in my bathroom on the edge of the tile next to my jacuzzi. There is a window there for it to get afternoon sun. The pilea is in my living room and the dracaena is in my office close to a window to get indirect light.