Need some help hanging curtain panels

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by wjewell, Feb 2, 2011.

1. wjewell

wjewell New Seed

[​IMG]

Not sure at what hight I should put the rod to hang these panels... I think it looks bad where it is because the panels on the other window in the room are so much higher. But at the same time if I put them at the same hight from the floor the rod will be just under the arch. And I don't want to raise the blinds because there is the top track for the bottom sliding window behind the top of the blinds. The top window is tinted too.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Do you need curtains at all? If you don't want to raise the blinds, it seems you have plenty of privacy, and with the top arch of the one window being tinted, you don't have a sunshine problem (you lucky Floridians, you!).
    Your room looks spacious, light, and airy. I'd leave the curtains for another room, myself.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree with not using the curtains at all. I'd even go as far as to remove them from the other window in your room too. I don't think your room needsanything hanging at them - the blinds look good on their own.

5. wjewell

wjewell New Seed

Well I would like to agree with you my wife says the room NEEDS the panels.

Advertisement
  6. wjewell

wjewell New Seed

And........... The curtains are down. :/

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good decision! I don't know about Florida, but here in Texas material hanging by a window gets 1)sun bleached, 2) attracts insects, and 3)generally doesn't do much but irritate the housekeeper!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those arch windows are an architects idea of a great design element and give the outside of a house a unique look, but they can be a home owner's nightmare when trying to finish off the room.

Now that the curtains are down, start decorating the walls with artwork, posters, family photos..things that you like and that will bring more color into the room. Once you get things on the wall that draw the eye, there will not be so much emphasis on the windows and whether or not they have curtains.

Do you have pretty doodads,for lack of a better word, that need a place to sit but some place out of the way? i.e. an antique vase from a grandmother, a collection of old radios, some other collectibles that need an out of the way place? You could put a shelf about halfway between where the curtain rod is in the photo and where the arch begins and display them up there.

Would it be possible to replace the blinds with tiers of shutters painted the same color as the walls? The windows would be covered for privacy, look very nice and not take away from the other room decor.