NEMESIS!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Islandlife, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

For the past 3 or 4 days at 5am on the dot the bam bam bam bam bam bam starts drilling down. For some reason good old Woody here has decided to send out his mating call by way of drilling his bill against the neighbours metal satellite dish.

This afternoon he moved over to a birdhouse in my backyard. I sure hope he finds the love of his life soon cause this waking me up daily starting 5am is getting old real quick! ;)

DSCF5752.JPG

Pileated woodpecker and they are really beautiful birds. Just hope this guy doesn't end up drilling through my bird house - but 5am is too darn early!!!

AAnightowl, Frank, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    They are pretty and to me kind of prehistoric looking and huge! Can imagine how noisy he must be. Great picture of him scoping out the bird house :like:

Islandlife likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like your bird house!
    Let's hope he finds his sweetie pie

Islandlife likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Amazing shot! I tried for years to get a picture of our local Pileated Woodpecker. It always seemed to move to the opposite side of the tree and I could never get a good picture!

Islandlife and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That truly is a remarkable birdhouse. Are the external decorations to keep this guy from hammering in and getting at the chicks? The woodpeckers here do that.

Islandlife likes this.
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Thanks! And @Sjoerd interesting you asked re: decorations as the birdhouse was made by a fellow actually living now in the USA but from the Netherlands. I thought he was just decorating the exterior of his houses but maybe he did that cause of his experience with woodpeckers there. IF I was closer to him and his store I'd ask him ;) I have no knowledge of woodpeckers here getting baby birds. My birdhouses actually stay empty as they are too much out in the open. I do have vines (clematis) planted around the bottom going on the theory that one day they'll grow up and around the houses giving them more natural growing protection which might entice birds to nest.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I know what you mean about the houses being too out in the open, I finally had to put most of mine on or bear my garden shed.

Islandlife likes this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Awesome shot! And the birdhouse too. I just thought he was using odds-n-ends to decorate it.

I don't know if my birdhouses are occupied this year or not? I did finally find a place for my 2 bluebird house, and the friend who built it mounted it also, as DS is out driving big rigs.

Islandlife likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine