Never let your laptop drink a beer.

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

No matter how hard it screams, cajoles or begs, keep it away from the beer. Several days ago, with the help of an errant hand wave, my laptop got a hold of a beer bottle. Before the tasty liquid could be whisked to safety the computer had swallowed a couple of good-sized glugs. I admonished the computer and myself as I wiped the remaining beer from its mouth. A few keystrokes indicated the pile of beer thirsty chips still interperated the keys correctly. Applications still functioned. I contemplated exposing its innards to inspection but decided against it. As the day wore on the little glutton, now inebriated, failed to respond to any request save commands from the trackpad. A trip to the clinic was in order. The next day the diagnosis, while not the best did not require a trip to the morgue. But the Computer doctor said 'Not now, maybe a few days, a month, it's hard to say.' With the prognosis in hand I contemplated a replacement. A replacement was a safer bet so now box in hand we headed home. Many, many, many hours later with the two computers talking together the older bit bucket told the newer one all that it knew, every last gigabyte, down to the last nibble(smaller than a byte). This post is accomplished with the older machine. With its secrets revealed, tomorrow it goes under the screwdriver. Its innards will be cleaned…..who knows? One thing for sure, the only beer the new kid will see is brewed by the .JPG Brewing Co. The new kid is faster has more memory and a lot more bells and whistles. As for the older one….I'm checking to see if it can spell 'server'

Jerry

Frank and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Keyboards of desktop computers can't handle coffee, I guess it's the caffeine, they get the jitters and start giggling then they take a looooooooong dirt nap.

Youngest daughter found out the hard way that her really expensive gamer keyboard can not even handle water :eek: Maybe if she had given it a BAWLS to drink it would have been happier....sure works for the gamers.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We have a "no drinks near the computer desk" rule here. I don't have a laptop but I think the same rule would apply. Drinks go on a separate table. It doesn't cross over the keyboard on it's way to my mouth.
    I'm glad you have something working again now.

dooley

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

One reason Im glad I have a desktop - If my keyboard gets thirsty, Im only out $15 for a new one :) I cant afford a whole new system right now -_-

cherylad likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

This is always one of my fears. It's never happened yet touch wood. I also employ Dooley's 'no crossing over the keyboard' rule. It works wonders.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ewwww! they don't respond well to crashing to the floor from the kitchen table as the dog runs by catching the recharging cord.....No amount of time will allow it to heal on its own...somewhat like humptydumpty.