New and values advice, first question is concerning my pots

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Shannon phillips, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Shannon phillips

Shannon phillips New Seed

Very excited to learn from some garden pros. I have been obsessed with flowers this year and have way too much time and money in them to watch them slowly die! My first question is concerning my pots. They have petunias, million bells and verbena all mixed in the same pot. Do all of these flowers require the same amount of watering? Is limp vines a sign of too much water?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Can you possibly give the pot size and maybe a pic of the flowers in question ? Over watering can be the problem. It can kill a plant same as too little water. Do the pots have good drainage ?
    Sorry forgot to say welcome to the group,,hope you enjoy the conversation here !

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi and welcome.
    all of the plants have similar water needs. if your plants wilt down... before you give them water make sure they are needing water. Wilting is not always a sign of dry.. sometimes they are heat stressed and wilt down to conserve their exposure to the heat and sun. IF that is the case watering when they are not needing water will kill them. put your finger right into the soil mix all the way to your middle knuckle and make sure it is dry first. if it is dry and they need water give them a good drink and a bit of shade... even if it is only a sheet for a little while as they recover. if they are still damp and in full sun put a sheet of news paper over them or a sheet or shade of some kind for a little bit just to give them some respite from the sun. good luck.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Shannon I'm so glad you found us as we have some real experts that will help you out in every way they can.

WECOME TO OUR FORUMS.

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am a believer in those water crystals for outside potted plants. I have troube ke rt ping up with the watering, so I put maybe a 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of them in with the potting soil. Seems to help.

I agree with Carolyn & Mart. Additionally, my potted plants will wilt if we have had a string of rainy or very cloudy days & then the sun comes out bright & hot. The poor plants just are used to it.