New Apple Tree won't grow leaves

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AaeG, Jul 4, 2018.

1. AaeG

AaeG New Seed

Hi
    I planted two new apple trees in the third week of April this year by following all the planting directions that I could find on different websites. As of today the trees look OK and there are no signs of any diseases, however the tree has not grown any new leaf as of yet. My concern is that is the tree does not grow in the remaining summer, it may die in the winter cold.
    Please advise what I can do to make the tree start growing new branches and leaves
    Thanks
    AG

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

If your tree isn't growing new branches or leaves at first, I wouldn't be to alarmed. It is probably working on roots, which is a good thing.
    Continue to water regularly and as long as the old leaves/branches are doing well I wouldn't worry.
    Your tree will need good roots to get it though the winter.

AaeG, fatbaldguy, toni and 1 other person like this.
  4. AaeG

AaeG New Seed

Thank you very much! much appreciated

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Netty is right ! The root system is what keeps the apple tree healhy. It may take all this summer to get the root system established.Next year you should see those leaves multiply. It will need pruning this winter so you might need to read up on that ! Do not fertilize till spring and use something especially for fruit trees.