New bermuda sod problems...

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by errodr, Apr 10, 2007.

1. errodr

errodr New Seed

I am in zone 7a.

The sod was laid over a week ago and since then we have had 4-5 days of below freezing temps. I have been watering every other day. The sod is now mostly brown from it's original green.

Am I not watering it enough, or is the brown color a function of the temperatures? How long until I should no longer be able to pull up a piece of the sod? Assuming that my lawn is not lost, when the temps warm up what should my watering schedule be?

Thanks...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. ValerieWray
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Eric Dyer
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi errodi, welcome to the Stew. Why not post an intro of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum. Hope you will hang around and join the fun here, lots to learn here too.

Was it a hard freeze, meaning down into the 20's or lower for several hours each time or just a dip down to 32 for an hour or less? A quick dip probably wouldn't do that much harm to the grass, but you probably should call the place you bought the sod from to find out what they have to say.

Under the cooler conditions this past week and depending on where you live, it will take longer than a few days for the sod to root. You have 'transplant shock' of sorts on top of colder than normal temps right after planting that have affected your sod, no wonder it is brown now :eek: Continue watering unless the sod company determines it to be a waste of time. And make sure you are deep watering it and not just a quick sprinkle with handheld sprayer.

After the sod is established, watering should be 1-2 inches of water per week.

4. errodr

errodr New Seed

There were two nights of 25 degree weather. I was below freezing for several hours each night. The other two nights it was right at freezing for several hours.

Thanks!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let us know what you find out in your investigation of the problem. We have many members who are interested in lawn care and your experience could help them in the future.