New Computer

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by dooley, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Well, we got a new computer this week but I'm not ready to be back online from home yet. We left our computer tech back in Arizona so I'm having to figure things for myself. I got it up and running. The printer we have isn't compatible with the nrw syster so we have to shop for a different one. We got a Compaq Presario which is what our old one was or still is. It didn't change just because it doesn't work anymore. I've been going bit by bit through everything on the start memu trying to figure out what everything is and how it works. I think I will look for a book on Windows 7 and one on how to download or upload or whatever it is you do for programs. We still have to get our phone line hooked up. I have been putting that off until I get things figured out. We can play solitaire but it looks a bit different from the old game. Works the same though, but much faster. Probably because there isn't so much working in the background now. I will get it working eventually. I can find my way around the normal things but background stuff isn't what I am used to doing. When I get it online there will be even more things to worry about, like antivirus, firewalls and spybot etc. I may have to get the teenager from next door to help me. Teenagers are much more computer literate than I am. dooley

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congrats on your newe system.

Be sure that you install your virus scanner and firewall BEFORE you go inline.

Looking foreward to the first message from your new compi....good luck!

4. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Good luck with the new computer. My new laptop is Windows 7, and it doesn't seem to be much different to Vista. Love it.

5. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Just got 2 new PC's both HP, had both up and running in a couple days now have 4 online 2 LT's/2DT's and 2 are XP/2 are W7, I am loving W7, if I can help you just ask away... and the first thing you should do is burn your recovery disc. but my first thing was remove temp. avi and download AVG9 plus malewarebytes, W7 comes with windows defender which is good also. All our PC's are now on our secured home network, run on Wifi to modum.
    P.S. the RAM is what makes it faster, our new LT is 4 gb RAM, new DT is 6 GB RAM/quad processor..can take RAM up to 16 on that one.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Congrats on your new computer Dooley. I am thinking of upgrading my computer next year but still don't have a valid excuse yet!!! :D

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Isn't it nice to have a new toy to play with? :D Figuring it out is part of the game I guess. Congratulations!

And please do as recommended: Get the firewall and antivirus going first, then you can go online and download whatever it is you need to download.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So glad you've got a new 'puter Dooley. :-D Fingers crossed that you get everything sorted out soon so that you can be back with us more.

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We stopped and bought a book when we went to Huntsville yesterday. I've been reading it and sorting through stuff. Only some of the pictures in the book don't match what I see on the screen so I'll have to call my computer tech on the weekend. He's much too busy now that he's started back to school and work. dooley