New England weather... and attempts at organic gardening. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Beeker, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Ugh, this steamy weather has been relentless.
    I am barely getting out in the garden.
    Even in the morning, it has been in the upper 70s with the humidity at 90%.
    So uncomfortable.

So, I'm looking for a way to make my garden a bit lower maintenance since I'm having trouble keeping up with weeding. These plans are slightly for autumn planting and mainly for next year, of course.
    I'm thinking of mixing in organic plant food, stirring, watering, and then covering over with either cut up black garbage bags, or that fabric cover for gardens, then cutting holes where I decide to plant seeds. What do you all think?

Please, help. I feel like I've made no progress in learning how to do organic gardening. I get very little out of my tomato garden each year. No matter if I direct sow or start my seeds indoors, the seedlings never grow past 2 inches tall for the first month. I don't know why they stunt like that. Then, when they finally do grow, it is late in the season and I end up getting only a few good tomatoes from my plants and throwing out a bunch of little green marbles in October. Is it me? Is it my soil? I've started raised beds and filled halfway with my dirt and then stirred in compost and peat. I am still having the same problem, even though the soil is totally amended. This happens in both gardens, the one on the northeast side that gets almost a full day of full sun, and the garden on the south side of the house that gets about half the day of full sun. But the weeds sure do love what I've done with the soil.
    I don't know if this is a clue, but my squash does very well, as do my radishes, carrots and onion grass. I have lots of chickweed, broadleaf plantain, wild violets, creeping charlie and what ever this is: (this is the stuff I REALLY need to get rid of but it is almost impossible.)
    IMG_0659_Resized.jpg

These weeds and vines all do very well in my garden. I hope those are clues you may find helpful to advise me on what is wrong with my garden. Fighting these vines (and the creeping charlie) are a never-ending, losing battle. (I don't mind the creeping charlie so much because the bumble bees love them.)

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Tomatoes are difficult to grow well. Maybe the ph of your soil is not correct. I give my toms lots of organic matter. It is hard to know what your problem is. If the temp is too low they won’t grow. A polytunnel might be the answer. Your mystery vine looks like Virginia creeper. If you post a picture of your toms maybe we can better understand the problem.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Weeds are your enemy. they suck all the nutients out of the ground from your tomatoes. pull the weeds add fertilizer and mulch. take a soil sample and have an analysis done to see what yoursoil is lacking or has an abundance of. compost, mulch and a copper spray for fungal disease if thats an issue for you.
    Full sun. not 8 hours but all day long sun.
    too much nitrogen will make beautiful plants but no fruit.
    erratic watering causes blossom end rot. that form at bud development stage. the fruit develops with it the moment it is pollinated. make sure you keep it from getting huge swings of "too much too little" water.
    Honestly organic can be hard. our biggest issue is needing to spray for grey mold and blight. we have too much humidity and not enough air movement in the peak ripening period to not spray. this year it has rained so much its about ridiculous. I have potted plants I haven't needed to water.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Odif like this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

the vine is cinquefoil. if those leaves are little . if they are large probably viginia creeper.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Odif like this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Virginia creeper ! We have tons of it here ! Tomatoes are a warm weather crop and would be difficult in the best of circumstance where you are ! They simply do not do well at temps below 70 degrees and love the heat of summer ! It has been in the 90`s here and mine are doing well !

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Where in New England are you Beeker? I'm in MA & our tomatoes are not ripe here yet.

Sjoerd likes this.