New garden - new pond

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by devonpete, Jan 14, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

A couple of pics taken in October. The garden isn't large. as you can see - the usual UK bungalow estate plot. The first pic shows the pond liner filling, with the old smaller existing pond next to the hedge. This area has since been reclaimed for alpines. The second pic shows the new pond coming together more...but still very new. There's a stream at the lefthand end, and the suggestion of a cobbly beach at 'tother. My inspiration comes from the Exmoor coastal scenery around here.
    For neatness, I've kept the level of water and the surroundings almost flush. The adjacent lawn never floods after a storm as the beach end acts as a water runoff - it goes under the slabs and drains back into the garden. Just needs tidying up now, and getting some planting established.
    Pete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Here's an evening view from the other side. I hope to install pond lighting at some stage, so I can sit in the conservatory of an evening and watch the fish.
    Pete.
    [​IMG]

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've certainly put an awful lot of work into your pond Pete and the result is really lovely. What kind of lighting are you going to use? I have floating solar lights in the pond and 'stick' solar lights around the garden. Once the planting matures in your pond it will transform it and you'll have your own private oasis to look out on. Great job!!!!

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Nice work Pete, very tidy job :D Did you install it all yourself, if so did you find it easy or did you hit any snags along the way?

I agree that lighting will transform the pond, it would look great from the view of your conservatory. Let us know if you get lighting installed as we'd love to see an update photo.

Advertisement
  6. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Just come in from another half hour of titivating the 'stream' end (it's so cold out there!)
    Yes, it's all my own work. The hardest bit of course was digging out the hole, especially when I started to come to the usual layer of builder's rubble! But I think well worth the effort. I got far too much lining, but better that than ending up with not enough to do the job properly.
    In the last few days I've gathered up some interesting bits of driftwood from Instow beach which is a few minutes drive away. These I'm using as part of the stream scene. This is now the sort of bubbling water outlet you get at the top of a cobbly Devonshire cove (or anywhere else I suspect). I lifted the pipe from the pump higher to get a more lively outpour, and the water now tumbles over rocks into the stream with quite a satisfying splash. I went for a higher capacity pump as anything too small would for me be a non event.
    I did get some lighting a couple of weeks ago knocked down to £9.99 from £49.99 (some reduction!). These I'm still playing around with, and are three low voltage underwater spots with interchangeable colour lenses (made by 'Bermuda'). I tried them in the pond but their circle of effectiveness is a bit minimal. OK, but puny. So I've repositioned them to spotlight the new waterfall more - have to wait until this evening to see the result.
    When the waterfall's finished with all it's driftwood, seaside cobbles and gravel I'll post another shot. I might even add a simple plank bridge so I can have easier access to planting the opposite bank.
    Which reminds me of a front garden I used to pass where I used to live in Surrey. There was a pond the size of a puddle, with the biggest oriental style curved bridge over it you could ever imagine. Totally eliminated the pond underneath!
    OK, warmed up a bit now, so I'm going back out there again. At least the sun's shining.
    Pete.

7. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Very very nice it will be a nice relaxer spot when you are done. { is relaxer a word?}

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Pete! :smt023

9. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Very beautiful and of course I am insanely jealous of the conservatory. LOL It is my dream to have one. Can you imagine a conservatory attached to a mobile home. 8)

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Really nice, Pete. Yes, we certainly need to see pictures of the pond with lights.
    The conservator looks to be a wonderful place to sit and relax.

11. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

WOW!
    That's a really gorgeous pond, Pete, and perfectly placed for year 'round enjoyment.
    I particularly like that pebbly beach at the edge of your terrace,
    [​IMG] makes me think of going wading.

I had to giggle as I read your description of the disproportionate bridge and pond,
    I've seen several of those in this area, and I find myself shaking my head and wondering. :-?

I'm looking forward to learning more about the alpines you grow. I've never tried them,
    I don't know if they would work in a climate that gets as hot as it does here.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Love the pond.I would love one but Kevins animals and the wild animals would mess it up so will settle for my flower beds and yard junk.I can dream
    of all the ponds others have.

13. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Zuzu - I'm no expert on alpines but have had reasonable success so far. Well, enough success to want to start a new collection. As you say, they might not survive where you are. All I know is that they like gritty soil that drains well but at the same time isn't allowed to get bone dry, and a good dose of sunshine. Excessive heat might be a problem.
    (Pic of my old garden - a few foreground alpines in residence)
    [​IMG]
    Pete

14. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Pete you have done a really great job on your pond!! I love to see ponds in gardens. Just like Cajunbelle I am extremely jealous of your conservatory but just like her as well I'm thinking it would not go so well with my mobile home either!! Oh well you should post lots of pics of yours to keep us dreaming!!hehe!!

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW Pete the photograph of your old garden is fantastic!!! How about a trip to Scotland and you can stay (I'll even feed and water you now and again :p) and remodel my garden for me?!!! ;)

16. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Thanks for the offer Eileen. Some scraps of bread would have been most welcome too, as the local ducks can be quite vicious. But I have to decline I'm afraid.
    Pete
    PS. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of one of my dad's paintings to post for you in the other forum.