New Old Chair Project

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Jewell, May 5, 2013.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I don't know why I have started another project when I have so many unfinished yard chores, a paver project I volunteered for and an incomplete idea for this chair. Guess it is pleasant and relaxing to have my hands busy watching TV in the evening and seeing something having a beginning and end. Of course not having to get my hands dirty is also a plus. A rare thing this time of year.

[​IMG]
    New old chair project ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

I picked this 1920's or 30's chair up for $10. It is solid, but needed repair to the back of one arm, and the other arm had been repaired years ago. A previous chair in this spot in the living room was given up for the smoke shack. Buddy appreciates having a chair back in this location.

[​IMG]
    Buddy has claimed it as his own ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

So far I have removed the multiple layers of fabric on the back, and mended the one arm the had split and was loose.

[​IMG]
    Multiple layers of upholstery removed from back and arm repaired ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

I love tribal textiles, especially ones from the Middle East. I've had this piece of weaving for a number of years. I love this hand woven piece. It must have been made for a pillow and modern since the closure is at the bottom, but it is finely crafted and old. With its frayed end I am hesitant at cutting it up, but this will be a perfect way to show it off and fully enjoy it.

[​IMG]
    Choosing the back materials ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

I tried it on and it will cover nicely. Buddy appears to ok the project so far.

[​IMG]
    Buddy can live with it ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Now that the back is decided I still have to find the perfect match for the seat. Maybe vinyl or can I save up for a small piece of hide? First though the seat structure. I am sure some springs will need to be retied. My evening project has begun...

Frank, Sjoerd, Donna S and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I love it!!! But then, for some odd reason I have a thing for chairs... :rolleyes: The 20's and 30's are my favorite period for furnishings, especially chairs!
    I can't wait to see it when it is finished. Buddy seems to approve :p Tell me, am I the only one who looks at things this way...does it make you wonder how many cats, like Buddy, through the years, have loved this same chair? :)

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I must say it is a even nicer looking chair now Jewell. Pity you won't be able to enjoy it as long as Buddy claims it :D

5. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

great job so far and after all it is buddy approved you can't go wrong there

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really like the choice for the backing.