New Plants - Couldn't Resist

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I was only going to accompany my mother to the nursery. She needed some plants. I put my hands in my pockets, determined to keep them there. Hah! :rolleyes:

My husband's first reaction to this one was: "Get a haircut and a job!" :

[​IMG]
    Stipa tenuifolia ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

Some very nice blooms, all approved by Lord Paint the tomcat. He sniffed each and every bloom. :D
    [​IMG]
    Dianthus II ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Dianthus I ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

This Gentiana had some interesting colour variations. I hope it stays this way:
    [​IMG]
    Gentiana septemfida but which one? ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

Summer blooms that has delicious scent and needed a good home:
    [​IMG]
    Alyssum and Osteospermum ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

Because of the low temps we needed to think of something smart for the veggies. The metal frame protected my new micro dumper. Instead of taking it to the junk yard we decided to use it as a mini greenhouse. The pallet hood was a perfect fit, and does a nice job of protecting the little'uns at night:

[​IMG]
    Makeshift greenhouse ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

I also brought home a white-and-red Phlox immaculata and an Aristolochia macrophylla. They need to grow a bit before there's anything to show.

I'm off to continue painting the house. Enjoy your Friday!

Frank, Sjoerd, stratsmom and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great picks Droopy! I like the grass and the dianthus is similar to one that I bought last week.

4. Annette

Annette Seedling

i know just how you feel...can't go to a nursery without at least checking everything out! love the dianthus! i had a little patch for a few years. and the little greenhouse....as they say - necessity is the mother of invention!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Now you honestly thought you could get in and out of the nursery without buying at least one thing? :D
    Nice pics... and great job with the mini greenhouse.

Advertisement
  6. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Clever use for the mini greenhouse. Now I'm in the mood to go plant shopping after seeing your finds.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm convinced that we share a gene pool. :eek:
    I have a sort of Will Rogers syndrome---I never met a garden center I didn't like.
    You know Droopy, I just don't bother with that "hands-in-the-pockets" ploy to fool myself. Its pointless.
    So, I go in with an open mind. ;) and just let the euro's fall where they may.

I think that you came away with a decent collection of varied plants. I don't know what was in your head. I mean I don't know where each will go in your garden.

I liked the Stipa (but must conseal it from my partner, for she will surely advocate in the strongest of terms for the addittion of one of them). Actually I do not have a place for it....annnnd I bought her a grass plant last year and it seems to be doing pretty good. A few years ago I got her a Hakonechloa sort...'Aureola', I think it was. This one is doing REALLY good and has survived rabbits, ducks and the freezes in the winter.

Anyway...The Dianthus plants are really colourful and the red and white is a favourite combination of mine.

I'm glad that you showed the pic with the Alyssum--it reminded me that I need to hurry up and plant some.

Now that frame that you are using for a make-shift greenhouse is inspired. Well done, you! it looks like the plastic is sagging a bit in the middle. Maybe you could span some twine or wire between the side bars in the middle.
    I hope that you guys are not getting the same hard winds that we are getting here at the moment. I dread returning to the lotties. I wonder how the curtains covering the peas will be holding up. :(

Good posting, meid.

stratsmom likes this.
  8. Droopy

Thanks, Netty. :D

Annette, you're so right. :stew2: I find that gardeners can come up with pretty ingenious ideas because they have to.

cheryl, yes, I did. :D I frequently manage to get out of nurseries with empty hands, but it depends on which nursery we're at.

Pianolady, I hope you find something very nice. :D

Sjoerd, we might! :D Is there such a thing as a gardening gene? I'm not quite certain about where to put all of them, yet.

The plastic is sagging in the middle, and it needs a couple of poles with a pole between them in order to hold it up, but I'm not quite certain I'm going to do that this year. It's not going to be up for more than another week or so.

I was going to tell you we've got lovely, calm weather, but it just started to get windy. :D

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Lovely choices!!! I need to go flower shopping...I want another pink rose. Anyone want to come along?? :D

10. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

Never walk into a nursery with money in your pocket.

11. Droopy

stratsmom, I can control myself when it comes to roses. We haven't got the climate for them, so I'll accompany you and help you carry. :D

bp, so true! But if I haven't and a drop-dead gorgeous plant wants me to take it home, I'll regret it. :D

12. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

very very good choices Droopy :-D

Droopy likes this.