New plants

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by FountainMan, Jul 26, 2012.

1. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Today I received some plants from Cherylad. These of which include a Pink Pickerel a Japanese Iris and an Umbrella Palm. Got to work today planting them. So far it looks nice. Will look even better when they bloom.

[​IMG]
    Pink Pickerel ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    Here are Pink Pickerels planted among the blue version. Pink and blue contrast nicely.

[​IMG]
    Umbrella Palm (left) Japanese Iris (righr) ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    Here are the Umbrella Palm. (Right) and Japanese Iris (left). Notice the fish are enjoying the new plants.

Thank you Cherylad. in Spring I'm going to propagate the water lilies in the background in the lower photo. I'll send you some of the water lilies.

Frank and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow! They already look right at home... well... better than their home here, now they have a REAL pond to live in!
    But it's not a Japanese Iris... it's a Louisiana Black Gamecock Iris. Although they may be called the same?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it nice to have friends that you can swap plants with? Your new ones certainly look as though they're happy living in your pond. I'll look forward to photographs when they flower for you.

5. LynnD

LynnD Seedling

They look happy! Enjoy them!

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Nice! :D Can't wait to see what your pond will look like once those plants have matured a bit and bloom.

7. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

I'm excited too. They help balance the pond out.

Say next year if anyone's intrested I've got some Common Cattail (Typha Latifolia) I'm wanting to sell. To those who know what Common Cattails are your probably thinking they are highly invasive. True if grown in bare soil. Mine are going on 7 years old. (came from drainage ditch). I've grown them in Tupperware containers and they havn't overgrown the container. They seem to be content. But I want more color and variety. Anyway I've got a small 7 year old plant if anyone's intrested?

8. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Just got some more plants.

[​IMG]
    Mimosa Pudica (Sensitive Plant) ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    This is a Mimosa Pudica or Sensitive Plant. My plant is actually sited in a floating planter so I never have to worry about watering. This plant is really cool. It closes it's leaves when touched. Produces Pink Flower.

[​IMG]
    Sensitive Plant ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    This is the floating version of the Sensitive Plant. It too closes it's leaves when touched. produces Yellow flower.

[​IMG]
    Parrots Feather and Frog Bit. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    Parrots Feather and Frog Bit.

9. cherylad

That Sensitive Plant sure is pretty. I bet it looks great in your pond.
    With the Parrot Feather... I thought that was a submersive plant? Can we get a closer look at the Frog Bit? Never heard of it.

FountainMan likes this.
  10. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

The Sensitive Plant is pretty as it is fun to play with.
    It gets it's name "Sensitive Plant" from the leaves that close when touched. I spend hours touching the leaves and watching them close.

Tomarrow I'll get better picture of the Frog Bit. It's another floating plant like Water Hyacinth but unlike the Water Hyacinth the Frog Bit isn't banned from Texas by the USDA.

Frog Bit is like Duckweed. It has anyware from a single leaf to a clump of leaves with the roots dangling down in the water. They produce a pretty white flower.

The Sensitive Plant is also a floater. My pond had no floating plants which what I've read can lead to water quality problems.

I added the Sensitive and Frog Bit to filter out the bad stuff. The Sensitive Plant has been said to be a Nitrogen fixing plant which is good. Helps maintain water quality and without a man-made bio filter really helps.

Parrots Feather is a submersive plant but the few that surface. It's related to Water Milfoil. Commonly grows above the pond surface.

11. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

[​IMG]
    Frog Bit ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    Here ya go.

12. cherylad

It looks like Dollar Weed! Yikes! :D