New scam--your webmail has exceed capacity

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by marlingardener, Apr 13, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Found this on the web:

"Scammers have a new angle for their phishing lure: claiming your webmail has exceeded capacity. If you reply to the scam email, you won't be upping your quota, but you will be sending your email username and password to criminals. See below for a copy of the webmail quota phishing scam:

Your Webmail Quota Has Exceeded The Set Quota/Limit Which Is 20GB.
    Your Are Currently Running On 23GB due to hidden files and folder on your Mailbox.
    Please you are to follow the Below information to Validate Your Mailbox And Increase Your Quota."

After researching this, my husband wrote, "My guess is had we gone to the website either a virus would extract information from the computer or we would have been asked to supply our user name and password."

If you get a message like this, don't open it!

dooley and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you read your email from your email client...example-- O.E., Thunderbird, etc...then it's a scam. If you read through I.E. your mail box could be full and they are notifying you that for a price you can get a larger mail box. If your mail is sent to your computer by your email client then yeah, that's a scam. But either way someone is trying to get money out of you.

All my email accounts are on gmail, they automatically delete the oldest emails that they are holding on their website, but since I have an inbox on my computer for each account the mail is sent to me and it's my business whether the mail box is filled or not ;)