New seed source

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Donna S, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Just found this place. Great place to try new things at great prices.
    The Sample Seed Shop

Sampleseeds.com

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The Sample Seed Shop has a high rating, and it certainly offers some unusual varieties. I think you found a winner there, Donna!

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I bought seeds form them last year :) Good germination rate, unfortunately I lost pretty much the whole batch due to damping off *sigh* gonna try again this year! Cant keep a good gardener down ;)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bip, to prevent damping off, try a mist of 10-20% milk/water mix. You can also use baking soda in water and mist the plants. Just be sure to get the soil misted, too.
    I've used the baking soda solution (about a tsp. of baking soda to a pint of water, but the proportions aren't terribly important) for years.

Henry Johnson, TheBip and Donna S like this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jen, I have heard of using the milk, I haven't tried it, but Jane knows, so feel free to take her advise and run with it. I found a great "help" on another site this year and it is Diatomecious Earth. Got to Autozone and ask for product #8188. It comes in a 15# bag. It is a granular that is a natural product. Use it to give a "top" dressing as soon as your seeds germinate. Keep watering to a minimum also. If it isn't dry don't water it, if you can, water from the bottom. That isn't feasible for me, so I don't do that. Hydrogen peroxide makes a great water, too. It helps to kill off the organisms that are creating the problem. Make sure you are using sterile potting mix and "clean" water. If you boil your water and let it cool, it may help. Sometimes there are organisms in the water that aren't beneficial, too. Algae has been a huge problem in my greenhouse and the DE used as a top dressing eliminates it.

Henry Johnson likes this.