No More Grasshoppers

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by dooley, Sep 15, 2005.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The little grasshoppers seemed to have gone. It was only 53 degs. this morning. Maybe they got cold and departed for the winter. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've been trying to attract grashoppers to my garden for years Dooley - without much luck. :( I've introduced different kinds of grasses to see if that will help. Maybe they just haven't found me yet!!

4. dooley

The grasshoppers were mostly on those little yellow wildflowers. I'll see if I can find the name of them. Maybe I can save seeds. I haven't looked to see what kinds of seeds they have. The grasshoppers also ate the leaves off of my sunflowers. They were bigger though. These little ones were about half an inch long. I don't have much grass so they might have been wildflower hoppers. Dooley

5. eileen

Thanks Dooley. I can always buy the seeds here if you can find out the name of them. I can easily incorporate them into my wildflower garden and then sit back and see what happens next year. :)

Advertisement
  6. dooley

I'm sorry it's taken me a few days to get the name of those wildflowers. Days seem too short to get everything done. I found the information in my desert gardening book. Then, I found a site with a picture on the internet. I don't know how to link a site so I will type the address.

There are a lot of pictures there. Oh, I should tell you the name of the flower to look for. It's called Five-needle fetid marigold. A low tufted, dark green prickly plant with a small, deep yellow flower head on each of several leafless stalks above the foliage. It only gets eight inches tall and the flowers are yellow, 1/4 to 1/2 inch across. They cover the area and are pretty to look at. No stickers on them. I will save some seed in case you can't find any. You can go to google for more information, I think. The site I wanted to look at yesterday was also down. Dooley

7. eileen

Thanks Dooley. :kiss: I'll see if I can find them over here and let you know. :D

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are two kinds of grasshoppers. The little ones are about 1/2 an inch long. The ones eating the leaves on the sunflowers are about an inch or an inch and a half and are bright green. I wish I could send you some of those. Dooley The grasshoppers, not the sunflowers.

9. dooley

I'm getting loopppy. i forgot to sign in. That last post was me, not guest. Dooley

10. eileen

:D :D We all have moments like that Dooley. I still knew it was you!!! :)