Non-sweet treats

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Dec 3, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

With the holidays coming, some folks who don't process sugar and sweets well may feel a bit left out of the cookie/cake/pie frenzy. Here are two recipes that don't use sugar, and offer an alternative to the usual baked goods.
    Cinnamon 'n' Spice Pecans
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 pound pecan halves*

In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients, then stir in the pecans.
    Transfer to an ungreased large baking pan (not a cookie sheet, although a jelly roll pan works great) and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes until pecans are toasted, stirring every 5 minutes (this is important!).
    Cool and store in air-tight container for up to two weeks (don't freeze or refrigerate).
    Yield: 4 cups
    *Walnuts or any basically sweet nut does just as well. Depending on the nut, you may have to bake longer or shorter time. Just take one off the pan and sample. Occasionally, I've eaten about a 1/4 cup of samples!

Butter Roasted Pecans
    1 pound pecan halves*
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper (black, preferably freshly ground)
    dash of Tabasco sauce
    Coarsely ground sea salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees,melt the butter and add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and tabasco.
    Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with foil and mound the nuts in the center. Pour the butter mixture over the nuts and coat them thoroughly, spreading them out into a single layer.
    Bake for 10 minutes, Stir to redistribute the nuts and bake for another 10 minutes, or until nuts are golden brown.
    After removing from oven sprinkle with coarse sea salt and stir once again. Store in a glass jar after nuts have completely cooled. Do not freeze or refrigerate.
    *Any basically sweet nut will work instead of pecans.

Henry Johnson and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...