Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Biita, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I know i have posted a few times about how bad my camera is, and i could not pick up the Northern Lights, or the Auroura Borealis. Well not sure what i did one night, but I got one pic of it,,lol. I have tried since to get the lights again, but i guess that was a one time deal.

The Northern Lights fill our sky here, and dance an put on a show every single night (unless its cloudy) as soon as the frost is in the air. Its breath taking, but this pic does not do it justice at all. but its the only one i have ever been able to capture with the camera.

[​IMG]

That white dot you see is the moon. to me it almost looks like a bulls body, but actually the whole sky was filled with swirls and streaks of the Lights,, thats all that came up on film tho.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd love to see the Northern Lights Biita as I'm told they can be spectacular. You did well to get a photograph of them so thank you for sharing it with us. :stew2:

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

How cool! Isn't it frustrating when the camera can't capture what you see?

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh thank you Biita.I to would love to see the northern ligts.I know it has to be a grand site.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beautiful picture Biita.

Randy says what you need to try to get a good picture of the northern lights is to put the camera on a tripod, use the manual setting - it holds the shutter open until you release it, and take a time exposure of the picture. You can try different lengths of time to see what works best.
    Those other colors need more exposure time than the regular camera shutter action allows for.

7. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

So very pretty, thank you for sharing them. I would love to see the Northern Lights in person...maybe someday...

8. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

Texas

My wife is a science teacher and she says, years ago, the aurora borealis was visible here on the South Plains. I've never seen it, but she has.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'd love to look up and see that in my sky. I have watched a few time lapse videos of the Aurora Borealis online and it looks magical. Biita you are truly fortunate.

10. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Thank you all. Its kind of embarressing now because i almost take it for granted. I look up and go "ohh,,,ahhh" and never really stop and look anymore. But sometimes i just stand there and am amazed.

Toni, I will have to try that. I know i was messing with the camera while i was outside, pressing this and that. I did have the camera just sitting ontop of the car when i took it. I was cold, so i might have pressed down a little to hard an long on the shutter,,,lol. But now i will try that.

WT,,I have a Lakota friend in SD from when i lived there and he told me about when he was a kid, he used to see colors streak across the sky, but hasn't seen them for yrs.

I am fortunate,,and thanks all for reminding me just how lucky i am to live where i do...... i just love the Artic,,lol.