Not Many Sunrises Left on the Horizon

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Biita, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

But these are spectacular!! And turned out our almost 2 hours of daylight was a very nice crisp day to roam.

Remind me to wax the ski's soon!

Sunrise today was at 11:21 in the morning. Sunset was about 1pm or 13:00.

Here it comes!

[​IMG]

There it is!

[​IMG]

And the sun was out for a little anyway, but it sure did make me happy. And all that snow, yep, the doorway under the barns ramp is filled half way up with snow. We're going to have to dig out so we can go in. And i love to see the sun on the snowy mountains....

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely photos of one of the last sunrises for some time. You've got lots of snow! Oh, I'm so envious of that. We've also had lovely winter weather, with rosy mountains, but of course I didn't bring the camera.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beautiful photos. Don't get a sunburn out in all that sunlight. ;)
    Haven't you had more snow this December than last?

5. Biita

Thanks!

Actually this is when you can get a real good burn,,lol. Wind burn and sun burn.

We have almost a meter or 3 ft of snow, last yr at this time we had frost on the ground and bitter temps. Big difference this year. Were supposed to have a few more days of sun, during our daylight hour, but more snow is forcasted. But the dark time is about a week away, so it won't matter too much how much sunlight is going on in the rest of the world,,,,,lol. We won't see it for another month or so.

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Biita, I was going to ask how long you are without sunlight. I think you answered ...is it a month? Isn't it difficult to do chores in the black of night? And when you have sun, how many hours a day at its peak? I love history and remember studying this in school, but that has been soooo many years ago. I really enjoy you keeping us updated of so many things that are totally different from the U.S. Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. And keep warm!

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

oh biita, those pics are breath-taking! you have beautiful landscapes there.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Gorgeous Biita!
    The sun shining makes all the difference, doesn't it? I am in a great mood today and I think it's because the sun is shining.
    I hope your dark month passes very quickly.

9. Biita

Thank you all again!

KG, our daylight is going less and less to it goes to nothing. Right now we have about an hour and 35 min. of light aday. Tomorrow it will be even less. When the sun reaches its darktime that means it comes to the horizon, but never crosses. So we get pre-dawn and dusk effect for about 15-20 min. during that time. But no actual sunrise at all. This lasts 4-6 weeks depending on the moon and sun cycles.

As far as what we do during that time. Well think about over there in the evening, you go to the mall, or grocery store, visit with neighbors, go for walks, do all sorts of things in the evening right. The only difference is its night all the time here for a month or more, so we do all those things and more even tho its dark. The only thing that is not done is activity like skiing. To dangerous to ski in the mountains at night, unless your on a trail. But we skate, sled ride, sleigh rides, snowmobile, play in the snow, have snowball fights, all the same kinds of fun elsewhere it snows. We just do all that in the dark,,,,lol.

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hei, Biita, du glemte å svare på dette. (You forgot to answer this):

Biita is fortunate enough to have sun for 24 hours in the summer. I forget how many weeks it's for, but the midnight sun is a phenomenon for all living north of the Arctic Circle.

11. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Love the pic of the barn! I am partial to pics of barns and the older they are the better. I spent a week, north of the artic circle in Canada in Feb. one year. Didn't care for it. Too cold. When we stepped off the plane we went from 65 deg. Fin the plane to -50 deg. F. I was attending Canadian Forces Arctic Survival School.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Bitta your photos are always so wonderful but these are absolutely spectacular.The barn picture is amazing but so are the sunrise ones.Thank you for posting as I have really loved them.

13. Biita

Tusen takk, Droopy! Jeg vil aldre gleme nå,,,lol. (thank you Droopy, i won't forget now)

In the summer we about 6 weeks of true Midnight Sun. the end of may to about the middle of July. Altho it is light most of the time from the beginning of May to mid August. The height is the summer solstice.

And now we have the opposite. Dark most of the time from the end of Nov to about the end of Jan. then it starts to lighten up a little at a time. Total dark from mid Dec to mid Jan.

Capt that barn is not quite 200 yrs old. Lots and lots of repairs and conversions over the years. But its still the same structure basically. And geeeez we never get that cold, its mostly inland that reaches those temps. Out here on the island we have the gulf stream that keeps us above 0 F. or -10 C. Our normal thru winter is about 0 C or 32 F. Give or take a few degrees.

The Northern Lights have been out for about a month now, but i just got a new camera and i have to figure out how to make the shutter speed stay open longer to capture it. Give me time! I'll get them yet!

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Oh Biita, those are such beautiful photographs. The orange sun on the mountains is spectacular. Makes our rather grey Essex days look all the more miserable!