Not necessarily bad

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by marlingardener, May 31, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Just because you see a caterpillar on your beloved plant, it may not necessarily be bad.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of caterpillars become butterflies. We all need butterflies in our lives.

Cayuga Morning, Frank, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

As butterflies, whatever they eat up as caterpillars from our gardens - They repay with compound interest, now as pollinators.

But this, unfortunately, hardly anyone realizes...

Of course, I don't appreciate it when I see caterpillars on my limes. So for this, I have an ungrafted lime bush also, that I grew from seed. It doesn't produce any fruit, but has lots of leaves. So I pull off the caterpillars from my other limes - And put them on this undrafted one.

End result is that no caterpillars are harmed, and so they always emerge out of their cocoons as beautiful butterflies. And since that ungrafted lime never produces any fruit, means that it spends all it's energy in sprouting extra leaves. So the plant too isn't harmed - As there is no shortage of leaves.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

If it doesn`t threatnen me,, I leave it alone ! I do draw the line at mice though !

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thats an excellent idea ! But many do not have that availability !

Cayuga Morning and S-H like this.