Normally we wait for the first frost to lift the parsnips. This year it is difficult to gauge, so we have now begun harvesting. The first half of the planted parsnips are out, washed and ready for processing. We will have some purée with our meal tomorrow evening. The weather is cold now and the garden is changing its appearance rapidly. We will leave the rest of the parsnips in the ground until we get a bit of frost or, if the weather warms-up...we will lift the rest then. Just have a look at these beauties: Don't they just make your mouth water? I am so proud of these...the length of the roots are so long ! I wonder if this has something to do with the extremely dry summer that we had. Another thing is the germination rate--it was almost 100%. The Bride had to thin them out for the first time ...evvuh. The result was definately not par for the course. Parsnips here are notoriously difficult to be successful with. For instance we usually plant two rows of two different types of parsnip, and then we are lucky if we get one half of one row row. I call those results "dismal". We have also tried to "pre-germinate" them by putting the seeds in wet paper towels and letting them sit for a few days...with and without heat under them. We have tried other techniques as well, but we still just have poor success rates, so you can perhaps imagine how elated I am this year. --yippee!!!