Nothing to do with gardening, but sailing around the world

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by cherylad, Nov 10, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Two of brothers are sailors (I'm talking about living, breathing, playing, working, live-on-your-boat kinda sailors). The brother just older than me (we'll call him "The Professor") officially began his around the world sailing adventure on his yacht. "The Dragon" will be leaving soon on his own vessel to meet up with him and live out their dream of sailing around the world.
    My "Good Brother", who is more land-locked with wife & kids (who all enjoy being on the water and island hopping), joined "TheProf" for the first two weeks of this undertaking.
    I'll try not to bore you too much with their multi-year adventures... but I just couldn't resist showing their first "bragging photos".
    Somewhere between San Diego, California and Cabo San Lucas... here's "Prof" and Mahi#1

[​IMG]
    "The Prof" and Mahi Mahi ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And "GoodBro" with same 47 inch Mahi.

[​IMG]
    GoodBro&Mahi ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

That is one fish that did not get away. Are we going to be able to follow the world wide adventurers?

Jerry

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's some fish!! I hope you'll have lots more pictures to share with us as their adventure unfolds.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

T'was good seeing these foto's, Cheryl. Seeing those fish make my mouth water. I can only have respect for folks who travel like that. There's something about travelling and the feeling of being free. There really is no other feeling like it.

I really enjoyed this posting, Cheryl.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh, this is going to be fun....Can't wait.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow ... it sure would be nice to be able to hop on a yacht and sail around the world! I do hope they will share their travels with us :)

8. cherylad

The fish did ALMOST get away. They got it on-board and it flipped itself back in the water. Luckily it was still hooked and on the line, so they pulled it back in and tied it up tight.
    The funny part to me, was when they were deciding on how to kill it. They didn't want to club it to death. And thought about putting a spike through it's brain, but was uncertain of the exact location. So... on to a fisherman's trick... they got out a bottle of "good" tequila. They each took a shot and then poured some over Mahi's gills.... dead almost instantly! They filet it... put some in the freezer and cooked some. TheProf has a bread maker so they made fresh bread and had what they said was the best meal of the trip.

I'll keep you updated on their adventure... I just wish TheProf's wife was still alive and able to go along... it was her dream too.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow. This is a "way cool" adventure. I hope all of their journey is a great one.

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

How exciting. Will be watching for updates and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

11. cherylad

Just found out, TheProf won first place in his division in the race - The Baja Ha Ha (San Diego to Cabo).
    Here's a picture of his boat... The Silhouette. I believe it's 43 feet.

[​IMG]
    S/V Silhouette ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What an adventure they will have. Please post photos of the places they go and the ocean and the people they meet, this will be fun adventure for all of us.

Personally, I will stay on land. When my youngest grandson found out they were going on a 4 day cruise last summer the first thing he asked his Mom was...."have you heard of the Titanic and Jaws?"

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, this is the kind of sailing I enjoy--sitting comfortably on dry land, and seeing the sights and hearing about the adventures of "seadogs."

14. cherylad

We have saltwater in our blood. Our dad loved fishing... in and around Anahuac and Galveston Bay. He never did anything like this though (and I bet being in the Navy doesn't count?)My mom would get sea-sick in the bath-tub however. :D
    I can't wait until I'm able to join up with them somewhere for a week or so.

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!!! Cherylad, that's great!!! Something that I had really wanted to do but was unable to do so. If they are coming my way they are most welcome to drop in on me. :)