Oak Tree in Stress? or Diseased?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by toni, Nov 5, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have 4 volunteer Oak trees three of which have gone thru a stress situation at least I hope that is all it is. Should have asked about this sooner but I didn't.

The brown leaves started appearing in the summer, I think but can't be sure exactly when since I wasn't out there very often. We did have a very wet June, wettest one on record with 11.1 inches. They were fine then but the leaves started turning at some point after that.
    A few weeks after that I noticed that there were normal green leaves growing at the ends of the same branches. And now some of the brown leaves are actually showing some red fall color on their tips.

Can anyone confirm that it is just stress and the trees will be fine next year? Or will someone be shattering my hopes of seeing these Oaks grow into healthy giants?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I don't know what it is but we have noticed that when we go for a drive. There are patches of brown leaves and these are on huge oak trees. Wannabe

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Funny thing Toni, we have huge Oak trees at work. This is the first year that I noticed any nice color and only on one of them. They usually just turn brown and the leaves hang on forever. There is usually still a lot of leaves on them when I return to work in April!
    The fact that your tree has grown new leaves makes me think that it was just stressed and is recovering quite nicely.

5. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Oak wilt is something really common in our area. It acts like cancer in a tree, and you'll see them deteriorate pretty quickly (whole branches/sections will die off). There's not a lot you can do once they've got it, and it's difficult to prevent as it spreads via insects and root systems. Here's a site for more info on this disease: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howto ... lt/toc.htm