Off Grid Living & Recycling + Do It Yourself sections needed

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by S-H, Mar 4, 2014.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Off Grid Living & Recycling + Do It Yourself sections ne

First of all, I'd like to say that our GardenStew really doesn't need improvements. However, I still do have 2 suggestion which may be very helpful for some members.

In my case (as this is what I'd really love to see) - I think that we should have an off the grid section. NOT Something doomsday preppers or survivalists will be attracted to, as that often carries an anti government or anti establishment tone with it (something that I do not wish to see here)... What I'm talking about is just a simple and friendly "off the grid living" section. Where members can exchange ideas, seek advice, and freely talk about their experiences. For example, how to install solar cells, or water pumps powered by windmills, or waste recycling.

And the other section that I'd like to see here is of a home workshop (something that we tinkerers may find very useful). Where members can talk about their experiences, as well as seek advice on what tool to buy that will serve for a long time - Be it for general repair work to kitchen or household equipment, to serious heavy duty farm machinery. The basic theme here should be about how to save our own time and money - By learning to repair things ourselves.

I however don't have a lot of time on my hands - But if a moderator can't be found for these 2 sections, then I'll volunteer myself! :p

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think those are great ideas. I tried to fix a fan tonight, but it needed to be recycled instead. I was sad. The bearings were shot. I was going to send it to the scrap metal pile and most of it will go there, but I will use the basket for the blade as a soil sifter, I think.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

What you need is a 3 jaw or 2 jaw bearing puller. See this page:
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/B ... image.html
    So with this universal tool, you can replace almost all the bearings in must household objects. From fans, to washing machines, to even cars! The bearing (if it is small) can sometimes also come out with the help of a flat head screwdriver and a hammer with a cloth wrapped around it (so it functions like a mallet that can give soft blows). But the danger with that is that the shaft can get bent - Straightening it out will become a major headache later (as there will be too much vibrations). But with a 3 jaw or 2 jaw bearing puller, the whole thing will become good as new again!

Hehehehehehehe... I think the new proposed Do It Yourself section has already taken off!!!
    :rofl: :sete_003:

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi S-H, thanks for your ideas and suggestions! I feel that repair chat is still suited to our Home Improvement forum as the description mentions that repair discussions can be posted in there. It's important to avoid duplication of forum themes as it leads to confusion. However I can possibly change the Home Improvement forum name somewhat to account for DIY / repair talk also.

Regarding off-the-grid living, it would be best to start a general topic to sense for interest and then take it from there. I tend to see what is becoming popular and then if there are enough topics it is a good idea to create a forum for it. I haven't seen a huge amount of postings regarding off-the-grid living here that's why it hasn't been considered before.

Thanks again. I'll update you when the Home Improvement forum name is amended.

// edit - just updated the Home Improvement forum name to Home Improvement, DIY and Repair :D