Oh dear me :(

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What have I gotten myself into? There are so many bits and pieces and important looking stuff and... and... aarrgghh!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<gulp> Ok, I'm goin' in! Wish me luck! :like:

2ofus likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Count all the pieces to make sure you have everything. Read the instructions through, so you are familiar with how the parts go together. Gather the necessary tools. Find an adequate space to assemble the item. Start with step one..... If you think you are having a problem...STOP. Take a picture or post a message. Assembly with a dozen people watching is easy:) Have fun and learn. :)

Jerry

2ofus and Ronni like this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Such good advice Jerry, thank you. :heart: As it turns out, I got interrupted enough times that I barely began before I had to leave to head to my current adventure, stand up paddle boarding! So furniture construction will have to wait a bit.

But you can be sure I will take pictures and post frantically as and if I need to. I am grateful for the wealth of combined wisdom and expertise on this forum!

2ofus likes this.
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

<sigh> I gave up and went to bed. :oops:

Today's another day, a fresh start, a new perspective. Hopefully that will sustain me as I dive in to do battle again. It really doesn't help that the instructions are minimal. The diagrams are confusing, no text/instructions at all, just a lot of line drawings and arrows. I'm a visual person so I appreciate the diagrams, but not having any written instructions to support them make it very confusing.

And I have a file cabinet to assemble as well!!! Oh dear indeed! :eek:

21270950_10159355572835387_5012296520705342098_n-1.jpg

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good luck Ronni. My husband and I once bought an entertainment unit that needed assembling. It was almost a divorce!
    My advice to you is build it alone LOL

2ofus and Ronni like this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Whew!!!! FINALLY!
    9570a528-55c5-4f63-843e-b47b1f83b8d8.jpg

I didn't have any important bits left over, so that's a plus! The instructions however did call for doing the impossible... somehow I was supposed to put the drawer bottom in place AFTER the entire drawer had been assembled minus the bottom. There are grooves in the drawer pieces that the bottom is supposed to slip into, so it's just impossible to fit the drawer bottom in after the drawer sides, front and back have been assembled. So I had to take half of it apart in order to slide the drawer bottom in, and then put the rest back together again.

You'd think I'd have figured it out before I assembled the whole thing. But I don't understand this kind of stuff, so all I know to do is follow the instructions blindly....until something like this happens, and then I'm FORCED to actually THINK! Anyway it's done.

Next up: Assembling this accompanying little file/storage cabinet. God. More pieces. :confused:
    41mDVgiF6mL._SY90_.jpg

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looks solid enough Ronni, good job!! Thinking is good as it builds more brain synapsis', then you will be smarter and confident in taking on larger projects like.....a file cabinet. :)

Jerry

Frank, Ronni and 2ofus like this.
  9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

File cabinet is a work in progress. I've taken it apart twice now, to add a piece that the instructions missed:mad:

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well it's done. And now that it's put together and everything's transferred to it, I don't think it's going to work for me for very long. :(

Except for the file drawer, the drawers are only half as deep as the depth of the piece. The drawer mechanisms are stiff (gonna try wd40) and the thing just feels rickety. I dunno. I'll see. It looks nice, but it has to be functional too, y'know?

36851613282_e33a3c3a5c_k.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    2ofus, Jewell and Jerry Sullivan like this.
  11. kate

kate In Flower

Well done Ronni!
    I have put together a table and two chairs..really did I..:smt026
    I did for sure. But yet had to ask a neighbour to build a small bathroom thingi that holds whateve consisting of Six pieces.
    K

Ronni and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Nicely done. I'm no good at following directions so I leave it to my hubby to put things together. We have a huge entertainment center that holds the flat screen TV and a ton of other things he put together.

Now building from scratch is my forte. I like the measuring and cutting process. Although my pieces could never be called fine furniture you can dance on them they are that sturdy.:cool:

2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.