OH NO - no bees???

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Palm Tree, May 5, 2009.

1. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

We have been talking about bees and the photos that I have seen and the stories that I have read is mainly about bees the last couple of days.
    However - we are in danger of having no bees.
    I came across this newspaper article this morning:

Not good news at all.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Not good news at all, Palm. :( We are having problems with bee populations here in Holland as well.
    The American Foul Brood Disease is not one that I have heard of yet.
    Sometimes I am amazed at the lack of concern about the diminishing bee populations. I think that some folks simply take it all for granted and do not realize the fragility of nature.
    I hope that you guys can control that problem there and prevent it's spread. Keep us posted.

4. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

We have had a bee crisis here in England due to disease and lack of suitable nectar sources for the Bees, I do not know what the disease is that has diminished the Bee population but these little fellows are one of the most important creatures if not the most important creature we can have in our gardens. I have great respect for Bees and have grown to love them although I still don't wanna be in close proximity to one too often. Wasps are another matter they could be eradicated and I would do a little jig!

5. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

i have learned to love bee's for what they do in the garden and it was gardening that mostly made me this way since i already had a respect for nature.

It makes me sad that they are on the decrease regardless of the positive pollinating thing they do..

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Before 1906 the disease was called foulbrood, then it was given two different names determined by where it had been located....America and Europe. The American version is the more deadly of the two.

If you look at all the pests and parasites, bacterial, fungal and viral diseases they are susceptible to, they can even get Dysentery and then there is the unknown cause of Colony Collapse Disorder...it is amazing that there are still any honey bees at all.

I have read articles about Mason Bees taking over some of the pollinating duties if gardeners provide proper homes that will attract them to your garden.

7. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh man - and I love honey so much - I was just thinking of honey-and-mustard chicken for tonight's dinner. :(
    I will certainly keep tabs on this bee situation. ANd it is also the first time I heard about Foulbrood disease Sjoerd. Let alone the American or European kind.
    Toni - you are amazing - so on top of gardening. I think I should call you my gardening encyclopedia. :stew1:
    You are so right Playtime - bees are so important.

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I heard on the radio today about a new species of bee visiting gardens in the UK to take over the pollinating duties. Probably the Mason bees Toni mentions. Do you know what they look like Toni, are they similar to our honey bees or will we be able to recognise one if we see it?

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There is a good picture of the Mason Bee here.

They are solitaries and don't sting since they do not have a hive to protect. I have a couple of nesting tubes out back but so far none have moved in. :'(

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I have wondered why our declining bee population has not been on the news to inform the public. It doesn't seem to be a priority for the media. I worry for future generations.

11. smiles4sunshine54

smiles4sunshine54 New Seed

In my garden, I have noticed several different varieties of bees (and yes, wasps) hanging around the flowers. I saw 3 bumble bees in my perennial garden the other day. I'm glad to see them there, doing whatever it is they do, but I'm like most, I don't want to get to know them personally! Hopefully there are enough concerned gardeners that we can keep the population multiplying!

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

The honey bees was all over my yard when I left as the carolina jasmine was blooming and I noticed bumble bees all around and wasp.I sure hope the problems can be stopped.

13. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

This is a big deal and you are so right Gardengater the media just mentions it so by the way. We had that article in the paper yesterday and I just wonder when we will hear the next piece of news.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I am so glad you started this thread -- such an important topic and one that we gardeners can really "talk up" in our communities when we have the chance. I began reading about how/why the bee pop is declining in my area (Maryland, mid-Atlantic area of US). Besides the problem of many many viruses as Toni mentioned... the numbers of bees and hives are being affected around here by use of insecticides (esp by the big industrial farms) on the plants they're pollinating... and by public spraying for other pests like mosquitos (common in the areas near the water). I'm also reading up on Mason bees and other solitary pollinators. Was wondering how to create a nice place for them in my yard. This link has some info on how to make homes for them. I found it interesting. I think last year I had one living under my wood deck. I didn't know what it was -- this year I will be happier if I see him again.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forum ... php?t=6059

15. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

ive seen honey and bumble bee's in my yard this year which makes me happy. Not sure if any mason bee's are around but i will have to study them more to be able to recognize them i think.

just last weekend me and the kids were outside and there was this big bumble bee just hovering in place about at my head height. I stopped a couple feet from him and we kinda looked at each other for a few seconds. I told my oldest to look and check him out as mr.bee was hovering and not really near any flowers. I guess he was just seeing what was going on.

I really like bumble bee's nature and attitude over the honey bee's. I guess they are just more graceful and nicer.
    My first tattoo was a lil bee on my right shoulder, i will post it up sometime.

16. Cas

Cas New Seed

We have three hives that i've seen so far this year 1 Masonry bees 2 Bumble Bees.

I like to see the Bumble Bee return to the hive with the pollen sacks bulging on it's legs as it goes undergroung.

The masonry bee is a bit of a nuciance, always in the house and they have an incredible knack to be able to stay precicley 12 inches above the dogs head no matter how high it jumps. (Keeps it fit though!)