OK Flower people,, I know someone will know what this plant really is !

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by mart, Jun 8, 2019.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Can``t post a pic but everyone here over 50 years old will probably know what I am talking about ! Around here they are called Easter Lily but I am wondering what type lily it is ! It is usually found at many old home sites grows in a clump, ours is about 5 ft across and almost as tall as I am ! Blooms like a lily and same type leaves as a daylily,, just bigger ! Hubby`s mother probably planted this one 40 or 50 years ago ! Blooms last about a week each and is blooming now ! Sometimes will have a second set of blooms ! Blooms are mostly white with pink tinges depending on the weather and may be more than one bloom per stem ! I am curious folks ! Help !

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

Do they look like this Mart? This is what are called Easter Lillies where I live. Their botanical name is
    Lilium longiflorum

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

No but similar, I picked a bloom and brought it inside so I could see it ! This one has a pink stripe down the center of each petal It can also be seen on the outside of the bloom ! It has multiple blooms on each stem and the leaves are very long and drape over like a daylily.! Each individual stem can be 5 ft tall ! Of course this is a very old clump of blooms !

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Could be a Lilium Candidum aka Madonna Lily, Easter Lily, they usually grow to 6' tall but older ones who like where they are living could grow larger.

It seems that any white Lily shaped bloom has been called the Easter Lily over the years which causes a lot of confusion about just what they really are. Lilium is the true Lily genus. The Easter Lily is just one of the white Lilies that have been forced to bloom at Easter time....normally they would bloom in Summer.

Just saw your latest post.....those are Crinum lilies. Not really a Lily but since they look like them the word Lily has been added also causing a lot of confusion.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sound right Toni ! These plants can live forever I think and were planted by the older generation ( older than me) because they were so carefree and required little attention ! I will go look for the one you mentioned !

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, I looked up the Madonna Lily but thats not it either ! Bloom wise it looks like the Stargazer with the stripe down the center of the blooms ! I held up one of the leaves and it is a good foot longer than I am tall and I am 5 ft 1 inch tall ! On this plant the blooms are not on individual stems,, it can have 4 or 5 blooms at the the top of one stem !

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Could it be an arum lily?

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am stumped Mart, but it's been a long time since I was called a "flower person". How did you know?

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Y'know, if the plant is as old as you say, then perhaps it's an ... er.... older generation of a newer plant? Not exactly, but it seems that plants go through evolutions just as humans and animals do. Wondering if because it's so much older it doesn't look like the newer generations of the plant because of human cultivation or adaptation or whatever.

I'm not saying this well. I'm still only three sips into my first cup of coffee, so if anyone can do a better job of articulating what I'm trying to say, go for it!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have a look at Formosa lilies as they grow to 5-6 feet in height. May not be the one you've got but at least you'll be able to eliminate it if it's not.

"Lilium formosanum, also known as the Formosa lily or Taiwanese lily, is a plant species in the lily family, endemic to Taiwan. It is closely related to the Easter lily found in the Ryukyu Islands of Japan, eastern and northern Taiwan."

Taken from Wikipedia.

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ohh,, You mean "flower child" like in the 60`s ! Ha,, I will never tell my sources ! ;)

Lilthisnthat and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ronni,, I don`t think its an evolutionary thing,,just an older type ! Like I said everyone here just calls them Easter Lilies even though they rarely bloom at Easter !

What I am thinking is,, if my grandaughter comes tomorrow I will get her to show me how to take a pic on my phone and email it to someone that can post it ! That is if anyone will tell me their email address !

Another thing about this plant,, the blooms hang downward ! I have seen these things all my life but never thought about the proper name for it !

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thanks Ronni ! I will do that ! I am electronically dumb and just do not have time to learn all the phone stuff ! Appreciate the help !

Lilthisnthat likes this.
  16. Lilthisnthat

Lilthisnthat Seedling

Mart, in this generation..I applaud that in you.me neither. More happy life less techy.