ok, so it's staying.... (for now)...

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by mlezjello, Oct 29, 2006.

1. mlezjello

mlezjello New Seed

okay, folks. i am really excited about this, but i gotta admit, i'm still largely unsure as to how to go about getting things up and running, or at least up to a point where i can let it winter over and get it all fixed up in the spring.

i have received mixed advice from a few sources. some say that i need to clean out the pond really well now (empty the water, etc), and others i have talked with have said that i can take care of it in the spring, using "Sludge Away" or something like that. honestly, i prefer the second option, but i really don't know what i'm doing. i was able to talk my husband into letting us keep it on the promise that it wouldn't be too much work, so i'd obviously like to not have to empty out the pond. but i want to take proper care of things, and not run the risk of creating a bigger mess come springtime, should i be (unknowingly) neglectful by waiting till then.

i spent a few hours working on it today, while he watched my babies (you see, i don't have a lot of time for myself). i used the skimmer that the last owner left, to try and lift as many leaves out of the bottom as i possibly could. i made a small dent, but i know there are a LOT more down there. (the fish and frogs weren't very happy with me for disrupting things, but they seem ok.) i also removed broken light displays, kitschy ornaments, and such. i cleared away a lot of brush, and in doing so, i found what i think is a filter. it doesn't seem to be working, but i think that's because it gets fed by the pump that is burned out. i don't see any power cords coming from the filter, so i don't think it has any independent function. but i saw that the tube that i guess comes OUT of the filter is the one that goes up to the waterfall.

i still don't know what's up with the apparent leak. we got some rain yesterday, and i'm watching the level to see how far it falls. i know i need to take care of that.

i guess i'm looking for help now. the thought has occurred to me to get some long rubber gloves and get more "intense" with my leaf retrieval.

i haven't looked at the heaters. or de-icers. or whatever they are. i know i don't have to worry about that just yet.

okay, folks. i took some pictures that i'm going to post. i hope you guys can help me figure out what to do now. i'm thankful for your help!

here is a shot of the pond. there are 2 pools with a little stream connecting them. when it works, there is a waterfall cascading down the rock on the right.
    [​IMG]

here is the left pool. it is also where the broken pump is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the right pool, where the waterfall should be working:
    [​IMG]

so does this look like a filter to you?
    [​IMG]

perhaps someone out there can help me understand my pond a little better.

i'm new, but i'm excited about being part of this community!

many thanks,
    emily

2. Loading...