Olé...The Grass Paths Are Finished!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have been working on these paths for several days. I started out just fine but then there were a few things that came up--such as the bee handling that I had to carry out, planting, whiting the greenhouse windows and then stuff at home.....

Yesterday though, My partner and I worked together and finished off those paths. It was harder work than it seems.
    Edging...or neatly cutting off the edges, took some measuring and careful work. Chopping the edges was one thing, but other things had to be done as well.

We noticed that walking the paths meant that the centres of the paths were deeper than their borders. Water would collect here and stand because it was so compacted by use. Naturally I would poke holes in the sod periodically, but that did not solve the problem of the higher path edges.

What my bride suggested was to undermine the high edges, then stomp them down and then backfill the trench. This is what we did and then we applied some sort of grass fertilizer and watered the whole thing in before we left for home.

I have to say, it all looked really good to me. Oké, I didn't lay a level across it to see if it was perfectly flat, but to the eye and foot it seemed to be corrected. Let's hope.

Here is a before view:
    caps6.jpg

During view---First the right hand edges:
    gras2.jpg

After---Then the finished product:
    gras.jpg

We did ALL the paths. Here you can see a couple of them:
    gras3.jpg

On The Home Front-- it was time to transplant some seedlings on into the next sized pot.
    Here we are potting our leggy Brussels sprouts on:
    gras5.jpg

We plant them deeply leaving only a bit of stem and the leaves above ground.
    gras4.jpg

Here you can see the little plantlets in the bedroom window. There are beans, Tagetes, Cosmea, Sprouts, Norwegian Brem and Bryonia:
    gras6.jpg

Then over in the dressing room are the sweet corn, toms, courgettes, Pak Choi, cues and bell peppers:
    gras7.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    2ofus, Droopy, Henry Johnson and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wow. Everything looks so neat and tidy and organized.... I love to see your work, Sjoerd!

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Most of us gardeners aspire to do what you have achieved! Good work, great looking gardens, beautiful paths, and a house full of growing plants--amazing!

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Such perfection! Your garden is an organic quilt for sure. The seedlings are all coming along nicely to finish the ever changing tapestry. Definitely your zen place.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, RONNI--The veggie plots are easy to keep control of, the flower plots are much more difficult ans they have perennials and that is where the roots of the weeds safely hide. It is an ongoing battle.

Ach JANE--you are just so sweet. Ta for your fancy words. The thing I like about having plants onm the windowsills at home is that even on rainy days...I can still see my developing plants. hahaha.
    That sounds incredibly lazy, doesn't it.

JEWELL--Cheers mate. You also had some nice comments. It is such a pleasure to read on this grey and rainy day...with hail, wet snow and punctuations of sun.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good! I have been edging my pathways too, one a day when I have time. It looks so much better when done, but it is very time consuming. I can really appreciate the work and time you put in to get them all done in one day Sjoerd!

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

If you ever feel like edging more grass you're more than welcome to do it here! It looks ever so nice. Congratulations on a job well done. You're entitled to a cup or two of tea and some biscuits.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, NETTY--Yes, you are speaking from experience. I only do the paths twice a year. I do not do it in the heat of the summer because the drying in from the cut sides can be really dangerous...in spite of watering.

Urmmmmm....DROOPY--Wellp, I am done with paths for a while, I can tell you that unequivocally.
    Then the tea and bikkies were absolutely in order. I agree with your suggestion that they were well-earned.

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your lottie shows the amount of work you, and your bride, do. All the good food to eat, a feast for your eyes as your flowers start blooming, and bees humming. Your seedlings look great plus I learned that I can plant my broccoli deeper! :):like:

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much for your complimentary posting, 2OF--What kinds of things do you have as seedlings at the moment? I can imagine that your temps must still be quite cold there in those altitudes.

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh my SJ looks super. Love the look of the grass paths. I have resorted to small crushed stone for the path through our raised beds. That way I can keep it sprayed with vinegar which keeps the weeds under control. I have tried to grow Broccoli several times but it hates our soil. So now I just by it from the farmers market in summer.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you 2T--It sounds like you have a good solution for your paths there. My paths look oké, but I do not keep them that way...as I said, I edge them only twice a year as I do not have enough time to care for them each week.

I hope that you are going to have a good gardening year.