Old flavored olive oil? Add to bug spray?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by toni, Nov 12, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Shuffled to the far back corner of a deep pantry shelf I found a half full bottle of Roasted Pepper flavored Olive Oil with a 'Best if used by' date of January 2008. I know, I really need to clean those far corners more often but sometimes they can be scary. :eek:

I hate to throw it away, there are about 4 ounces left in the bottle. I was wondering if there is an insecticide recipe that it could be used in. It only has pure olive oil and natural flavors of oils and essences extracted from peppers and chilies....so there is nothing artificial in it.

Any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

I dont know about insecticides but i hear pepper essences keep cats off you garden so if you have trouble with unwanted guests maybe it could work there.

4. Glyptostroboides

Glyptostroboides New Seed

I've used neem oil mixed with water and a few essential oils to try and curb spider mite but you need to be careful as you don't really know the effect of essential oils (and chillies) on plant leaves.

I think it might work quite well mixed with water in a mist spray and sprayed over the leaves - the neem oil works because it leaves a layer/coating of oil on the leaves and traps the bugs underneath, stopping any oxygen getting in. I've had to reapply the mist a few times and I still need to keep doing it but the plants are no worse off :-D