Old Stuff - New Life in the Garden

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by cherylad, Nov 30, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I was doing some cleaning up/organizing in the computer room. This lamp has just been sitting there and I've had my eye on it to use in the garden.
    But... I wasn't going to trash one of my mom's lamps. So the other day I decided to plug it in and see if it still worked. It made a sizzling sound.
    That was my cue... it was now "mine"!

[​IMG]
    Old Lamp ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

So I started thinking about how to use it in the garden. Gazing ball perhaps? But when I removed the lamp shade I was left thinking about what to do with the top of it since it looked "naked".
    Hubby joined in and we decided to turn it into a bird bath. So I dug through my "junk pile" and found an old wok that I set aside to use someday.
    Hubby figured out how to piece it all together.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

That was the easy part! Now where to put it so it could be seen and be accessible for the birds. I picked out a spot (eventually). I wanted to raise it up so the "ball" could be seen better. I had a little cheapy plant stand that would work. So I put it in there, but it was too unsteady. How in the heck can I make it sturdy enough not to blow over or get knocked over easily?
    Plus there was another problem... the birds would burn their little feet when they did decide to visit, so something had to be done about the stainless steel.
    More thinking and the solution to both problems was the same... concrete!
    I found a plastic tray that went to the bottom of a pot and it fit perfectly in the little plant stand. We would place the contraption in there and concrete it in place.
    And Hubby poured concrete in the wok and formed the bowl by squishing the other part of the wok into it forming a bowl.
    Last problem... it was ugly... even to me!
    Stainless steel bowl, copper pieces, green plastic plant tray, gray concrete and white plastic coated plant stand. YUK!
    So I bought some copper colored metallic spray paint. I had to laugh at the label... it said it was good for metal, plastic, masonry, wood... perfect for this thing I thought!
    So with a little spraying, it was done and set in place.
    Come on little birdies, it's time for your bath.

[​IMG]
    Bird Bath ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Frank, eileen, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh Cheryl that's really lovely!! :D It looks so much better as a birdbath than it did as a lamp. I'm sure your birds will approve of their new, five star, luxury bath.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Agreed! It is a much nicer birdbath :)

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

One day the lamp was just chilling out in the computer room, next thing it wakes up in the garden with a new occupation. Good luck little lamp!
    Great job Cheryl!

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Very clever idea. And it looks so neat. :smt038 Our Christmas tree is going out the door when it comes down. It's old and shedding plastic needles almost as bad as a real tree. So I told hubby I was going to burn it and use frame to grow something on it. He thinks I'm crazy but its worth a try.

7. cherylad

Thanks everyone.
    I sure hope they use it. Can't have a bunch of dirty birds, now can we? :-D

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cheryl, great job. You would never know it used to be a lamp!!
    I am always looking at thrift stores for an interesting lamp to make a birdbath out of but have found nothing yet....just keep your eyes shut for a few minutes and ignore anything that sounds like an old person groaning under a heavy weight. ;)

9. Hanbury House

Hanbury House New Seed

That is really cool looking. What a great idea! However, I love vintage and mid century stuff, and I also liked the lamp before you DIYed it into garden art.

10. cherylad

Toni... there's several old lamps still around here... some look to be at least 40 years old. Those will be spared from "garden duty".
    But there are couple of "newer" ones that I may just have to steal one day.

Hanbury... I've always liked that lamp... kinda "hip" looking. I just hope the glass will last at least a couple of years out there.

Thanks everyone.

11. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Cheryl,That is pretty nifty.Good job. I think I had a lamp like that long time ago.I'm always eyeing pretty lamps at the thrift store.I thought they would work in 1 of those glass totems.If used in a totem could still have birdbath on top.
    sNs

12. cherylad

sNs... I would love to make one of those totems... and I have a little glass lamp that would be perfect in one. Except... it's so cute and is still being used here in the computer room. I think this one will be spared from "yard work". :-D

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

That is cute Cheryl. Silly me, I would have rewired it and gotten a newer lamp shade for it... That wok gives it kind of a UFO look... ;)

14. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

great job can't wait for yardsales to start here again