Old superstitions

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have heard it said that an abundance of berries, nuts and acorns in the autumn is a sign of a hard winter to follow.
    We have a small oak tree on the old railway embankment and from the upstairs windows can see the crown of the tree. Some years there is not an acorn in sight but this year there is an abundance so the squirrels will be caching like crazy.
    Anyone else noticed a change in this years winter larder?
    20170811 Acorns galore-001.JPG

2ofus, Sjoerd, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Looks like my trees last year. I also have heard it usually means a harsher winter, but from my understanding, it's just a normal cycle. I think roughly every three years, from what I remember reading.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The weather has been so crazy this year, and I was contributing the abundance to the huge amount of rain we had this year.
    Especially after last years drought, it is great to see.
    Ugh, I don't want to think about winter yet!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our Pecan crop in Autumn depends on whether or not there was enough rain the previous Autumn/Winter. We have had very dry Autumn/Winter seasons for a few years, the last couple of years there were no nuts forming at all and so far this year we have been hearing many black or underdeveloped pecans hitting the roof of the house, the truck and the ground.

Our squirrels better start learning to do rain dances if they want to eat pecans.

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Not so far...except for my opal plum tree. But that could just be their genetic cycle. I am really curious if there are other Stewbies that have noticed what you have. I will say that last year there was a nation-wide over-abundance of beechnut and hazelnut seeds, but our winter was far from severe.
    This is a good thread, and I hope that several folks will comment. Gardeners are always looking for signs of this or that.

7. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I just want to add, while we did have an over abundance of acorns last year, we also had a very mild winter to follow.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have noticed that some leaves are beginning to turn colour already, particularly chestnuts???

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not having very many chances for the trees to actually 'turn color' down here I would guess that if that color isn't dead-brown then they are doing what nature's cycle is telling them to do. It might be earlier than some years but we have had years when what color we do have started in Sept and most commonly it doesn't even start until December. And it could mean winter will be in your area sooner than you think.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Last year we had a ton of acorns,, but almost no winter to speak of. Toni how have you missed all the rain we have had in Texas ? Last night and part of today we had over 2 inches of rain ! Normally Its about 103 degrees and no rain July, August and most of September. This year we have had too much rain.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Haven't noticed an abundance of anything. Have had a great summer in the 80-90s F which is very hot for us. Just now having cooler days in the mid to high 70s F. Don't think there is any such thing as normal weather anymore.

Philip Nulty likes this.