Old wagon question

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by AAnightowl, May 26, 2013.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have two rusty old wagon beds, the little red wagons we had as kids. They already have drainage holes thanks to the rust. I just got one back on two cement blocks because the wheel parts on them are long gone. Should I sand them down and repaint them, or leave them au natural ? I am not good at the sanding and painting part, but will try if need be. I want to make flower beds of them. I thought plants with shallow roots like succulents would be good. Perhaps some violets also? Any other ideas would be appreciated. :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I am jealous!!! :D Personally, I love the rusty look. I think they would look adorable planted up :p

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The effort of sanding may not be worth the energy expended, however, painting may prolong the lifespan and enhance the visual usability, for how many years can be wrought from the tired skeleton. Spray painting with a colored primer may be worth the effort. Go for it!!

Jerry

P.S. I love old wagons.....little old red wagons.....Radio Flyer was its name. For over 30 years I have had a one wheeled substitute a Radio Flyer wheelbarrow.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I cant find it in my favs, but I am sure I saved it. There is a video on YouTube about some guy turned an old pickup truck into a giant Radio Flyer wagon, and it is street legal and everything. I cant remember the name of his video either. Fooey. I was going to post it for you guys. If I do find that video again, I will post the link.

The one rusty wagon bed has very faint writing visible, and I believe it says "Radio Flyer" on it.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have three of them and have not painted them or the wheelbarrows I plant in. Rusty and well used fits into the look of my garden so much better than painted and flashy. ;)

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My garden is likely more of the au natural look too Toni. It is quirky and unusual.

9. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

leave them plain like they are that is a great look