Oliebollen Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

olie 2018.jpg

It's New Years' Eve here--the time for fireworks and oliebollen (the plural of an oliebol). Eating these things here is a nationwide tradition. We have certain foods that traditionally are eaten with different holidays. Now it is oliebollen.

These are dough balls that are deep fried in oil, drained and then sprinkled with powdered sugar.
    olie.png

They are made plain or with raisins and or currents in them. Those are the ones that we like. Don't they look good? They are as good as they look.
    A look inside:
    olie5.jpg

Today, I cleaned house and the Bride put her foot in the road and headed off to town. It was nasty weather with blowing rain. Brave girl, the Bride. I offered to go, but ...no she wanted to go alone, if I could just get that house in order for the guests tonight.

She said that the line at the oliebollenkraam (stand) was not too bad and that the process went smoothly. I guess that the weather may have kept some folks indoors. Here is such a stand:
    oliebollen.jpeg
    ....and a stand from the side:
    olie 2.jpeg

This last day is typically a madhouse with lines going around the corner, and you cannot call ahead to reserve an order unless you order huge numbers...like for a business.

Finally, a stand at a quiet moment. Doesn't it look colourful and cosy?
    olie3.jpeg

I hope that you guys have a nice eve...and please be careful if you are playing with fireworks.

Jewell, Kay, Cayuga Morning and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Those sure look good ! Don`t suppose you have a recipe ? Here it black eye peas and cabbage or other greens and cornbread. Peas for luck and greens for money.. (It doesn`t work but still good eating).

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks for that posting Sjoerd! Great description & great photos. Those oliebollen look delicious! Tell me, what does the oliebollen stand do for business when it is not New Years Eve?

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Erwtensoep and stampot for me.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

???

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yum! Oliebollen remind me a lot of "Timbits", which are basically the round piece of dough, cut out of the middle of doughnuts and fried.
    They are also known as 'doughnut holes'. (The name "Timbits" being the brand name of the ones from Tim Hortons coffee shops - a Canadian franchise.)
    The lines are about the same length lol

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Happy New Year Skoerd. Your Oliebollen look like a delicious treat. Like “donut holes” we have here but probably better. On to 2018!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Erwtensoep is pea soup and stampot is a mashed potato dish. These are both yummy Dutch dishes.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

MART--Hiya. They do look good indeed. I do not really have a recipe, as it all comes in a box these days. One makes the batter from the mixed contents of the box. I did find this link for you though...and the name of the person who wrote looks like she could be of Dutch descent.
    https://www.thespruce.com/old-fashioned-oliebollen-1128444
    There are lots of folks who choose not to stand in the lines and make them themselves. I have heard of black-eyed peas.

That's a really good question, CAYUGA.--The rest of the year they move about from one kermis to another as well as special markets, fairs and expositions all over the country. People eat oliebollen sometimes at special events; however, these stands sell much more than just olliebollen. There is a whole range of tasty foods that they make and sell.

ODIF--We call the erwtensoep soup also snert here. That with stampot ---Lekker ! Do folks eat these two dishes where you live? Stampot we make with several different veggies. We will use the tops of our sprout plants in a few days, as we have harvested the last of the little sprout balls. That is also lekker.

That's interesting NETTY-- Doughnut holes. Actually its brilliant isn't it---waste not, want not eh?

Thanks KAY--Well, I don't know if oliebollen are any better than those doughnut holes or not. I like the taste of doughnuts, so the holes will probably also taste really good. I reckon that it is a case of "the same but different". chuckle.
    A sincere happy and fun coming New Year to you as well.
    BTW--I recall that you have some Swedish heritage--do you eat any Swedish things around this time of year?

Odif likes this.
  11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I ate stampot at the third of October fest in the town of Leiden. It was made with mashed potatoes and carrots and onion. The stampot was served with meatballs. There was a lot of food given out free. The erwtensoep that I remember was made by Ruel in Amersfoort.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Odi---What you are describing is actually called, Hutspot. Stamppot is technically speaking a bit different with different ingredients. Hutspot is served usually with some meat and a small hole in the hutspot is made with the back of your spoon and gravy, or perhaps hachee is poured into this. Any of this familiar to you?

https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/information/dutch-recipes/hutspot.htm

BTW--who, or what is Ruel? Ruel doesn't ring a bell with me, I know where Amersfoort is

13. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Ruel is a friend from Amersfoort Hutspot is exactly what I meant, sorry.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

HAPPY NeW YEAR! They do look DEEEE-licious! ;) Can taste them from here.

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

ODIF--Right, gotcha. chuckle.

Ahhh....thanks ISLAND.

16. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Sjoerd, my Grandmother always made Lutefisk. As children, we all agreed that it was icky and refused to eat it. This year, my cousin made some for me and I have to say it was pretty tasty.
    Are you familiar with it?

Sjoerd likes this.