One carrot!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Jul 28, 2008.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I went out to the garden this afternoon. It's more a weed patch right now with all the rain we've been having. I was out there on Friday and there were some small zucchini that I wanted to pick for supper today. Well, we had a lot of rain and the zucchini weren't so small anymore. I wanted to check the soil in the tubs of tomatoes as they dry faster than the ground. I went past the cantaloupe growing in the flat area and I saw something that looked like a carrot top. Sure enough, that's what it was. There was one carrot growing in my garden. I pulled it and it was about six inches long and about one and a half inches around. It was split a bit at the top where it was growing around a bit of wire fencing. But, Where did the carrot come from? I didn't plant carrots anywhere in the garden. Two years ago, I had carrots but they were up on the terraces and we didn't get any carrots from them. The bugs and birds ate them as fast as they came up. Anyway, how do you plant just one carrot? Must be the gnomes! I will use the carrot but I sure wish I knew who planted just one carrot! dooley

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha ha ha... Someone with a unique sense of humour. --chuckle

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

So...did you eat it?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it strange when things you know you didn't plant suddenly appear seemingly from nowhere? None of my family like asparagus but I have it growing in a pot on the patio?!! :-? A more welcome 'surprise' was to find a Common Spotted Orchid growing at the back of the shubbery. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You have youself a mystery dooley.Maybe Chance planted it for herself.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

chance does like carrots so I guess it's one explanation. It's in the refrigerator and going into the cole slaw on Thursday. dooley

8. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I think thats funny! Someone didn't want you left out of the carrot harvest. I hope it tastes as good as the surprise was. but i'm sure it will.

9. jillh

jillh New Seed

one carrot in Ontario

Hello,
    I read your post about"one carrot" last night and as I was weeding the front lawn I found...one carrot! All alone, in my front yard...
    jillh from Ontario