One house less

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tetters, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

It has been a sad day in our village, and not many of us slept last night. The very pretty little Thatched cottage burnt down and our friends who lived there lost everything they owned. There are no more than 20 homes in our little corner of the world, and so we all felt the loss very much.
    Although everyone wants to do something to help, there is nothing we can do to replace what is lost.
    There were 8 fire engines here and people from the electricity board. Thank God the couple who lost their home were safe, and so was their little three legged cat. There is going to be a special service in our church tomorrow.

Frank, Droopy, Dirtmechanic and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Oh dear, I'm glad that no one was hurt but sad that they have lost everything.

Tetters, eileen and Zigs like this.
  4. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

A near neighbour took them in last night (or early hours of the morning) and most of us with space are submitting our offers. They have a daughter who came to take them to the shop to get some basic clothes. We saw them returning to the village, and they looked absolutely worn out and in a state of shock.

eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's good that you and Zigs and others are helping them. I hope that they get on well.

Tetters, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

It's the cottage at 1.46 in this video...

This is it now :(

DSC03678.JPG

Logan, eileen, Cayuga Morning and 2 others like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

My heart is broken for your neighbors. Such a stately home.

Tetters, Logan, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a very sad thing, Tetters. How in the world does someone deal with such misfortune. It is heart-warming that the community lends a hand. Perhaps a Go Fund Me action will be set up to help them.

Tetters, Logan, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am so sorry for your neighbors, and really your whole town. I hope they will be encircled by you all with love support, help etc.

Tetters, Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I'm sorry to hear about the devastating news. Losing everything in a fire can be incredibly traumatic, but I'm glad to hear that the couple and their cat are safe. I hope that the couple will be able to find comfort and support from those around them as they begin to rebuild their lives. My thoughts are with your village and your friends during this challenging time.

I remember seeing the very first real thatched roof house was when I was in England, maybe in Oxted. They are really nice and pleasing to look at and I like them.

Tetters, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

So sorry for your neighbours' loss. Your community seems to work like communities should work in a time of emergency. Heartwarming to read. A friend of mine also lost everything in a fire. She was very sad about it, but the whole family got out, and what disappeared in the flames were only things she said. Good way to look at it I suppose.

Tetters, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  12. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

You are a kind and caring bunch of stewbies. This little cottage was the prettiest one in the village, and much photographed by walkers on the North Downs Way which runs through Womenswold. I believe it was listed, and typical of the chocolate box type picture. It had lovely roses growing around the front door, and hanging flower baskets too. We believe it could have been there since about the 1500's

Pacnorwest, Droopy and Logan like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Such a sad thing. My heart goes out to everyone.

Logan likes this.
  14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Today the ambulance came into the village with siren screaming, and took them both to the hospital. He recently had a stroke, and now is suffering very low blood pressure. May God help them both.

Droopy, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Now this on top of loosing their home. Crikey !
    Well, on your pic the dwelling doesn’t look as though it is totally destroyed. I can see some structural elements that makes me think that something can be done with rebuilding.
    But any way you look at it, it is a devastating ruin.
    Such a sad thing.

Pacnorwest and Tetters like this.
  16. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Yes Sjoerd, I know you're right, and we all think that rebuilding will probably take the best part of eighteen months to complete. I just hope they were well insured. The worst part is wondering if their nerves will stand up to it well enough, and she (I prefer not to use their names) needs to be extra strong now while he is ill. It was only a couple of years ago that she was in hospital, and she got sepsis whilst there. She recovered, but it was touch and go for a while.
    This sort of situation makes us feel very strongly that we should never take anything for granted, and should always remember to be thankful for what we have on a daily basis.

Droopy, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.