One Man's Trash: Free Stuff You've Found

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by jonmark, May 31, 2015.

1. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

I will stop in an instant for something free, especially related to the garden. Just the other day I was out with my wife and saw this with a free sign on it:

2015-05-31 06.42.27.jpg
    The primer bulb was broken! That's all that was wrong with it. For $1.50 in replacement parts I got a perfectly good string trimmer. I'm sure you green thumbs out there have found your own gardening greebies. I'd love to see your finds too. Share em below!

2ofus likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The best freebie I ever got was my 6' x 8' greenhouse. It was advertised as 'free to a good home.' The previous owner even had it dismantled ready for us to pick up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it as it even had the clips for the panes of glass. :stew1:

[​IMG]

Jewell, 2ofus and carolyn like this.
  3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

OH WOW! I would love to find either of those deals!!

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Nice finds. A free greenhouse would be wonderful, as I have out grown mine.

Advertisement
  5. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

Eileen,

WOWS! A free greenhouse sounds right up my alley!

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I need to get out more and find some freebies. No free greenhouses, no free string trimmers around here. However, I did get a gift of two 3 gallon chicken waterers and two 1 gallon waterers. A friend down the road was cleaning out his barn and he found these tucked into a corner. A little cleaning, and they were just fine.
    The best "freebies" I've ever received are seeds and bulbs from Stewies, and of course, all the good advice and encouragement.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Our neighbor gave us our first tractor with the attachments of a mower, scraper blade and a Woods tiller. It had a low tire, but was fine otherwise... a little old, but they never used it. We gardened with it for about 5 years before I had enough money saved up to purchase our next little tractor and we sold that old one to a neighbor and split the money with the original "gifter".

8. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

Carolyn,

That's awesome. I'd love to one day own enough land to need a tractor! One of my dreams.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

100_1720.JPG My sister snagged some shelves from work that were being thrown away. They were from the " sunsceen package" that the store gets every Summer. I put one 100_1722.JPG in my basement and have all my empty canning jars and paraphernalia on it and it has locking casters on it so I can roll it to the counter to have my jars, but they aren't all over the counter taking up valuable real estate.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    2ofus and jonmark like this.
  10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Oh, we found some shelves like that years ago and still have and use them! We use the shelves for gardening stuff. Mike gets most of the metal he's made my trellis's with for free plus all of our old antique wagon rims, equipment wheels, and just today, we were given an old single horse drawn cultivator. Also quite a few garden rakes, shovels, etc. The biggest freebee we have is all the trusses and most of the glass for the walls of our green house.