Onion sets, yippee!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jan 14, 2019.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My husband (hereafter referred to as "a god") went to the feed store today, and they had just got in their onion sets--some not even out of the crates. He came home with two bunches of yellow onions, and one each of red and white.
    Wednesday is to be warm, in the high 60's, so I'll prep the beds and if the weather holds, I'll plant on Thursday. The god is preening himself for getting such nice, healthy sets, and remembering how many of which to get.
    A garden is truly a joint effort!

hummerbum, carolyn, Netty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane you're excitement is pulsing through my computer. :smt026 What a lovely man you have to get the fresh sets for. Fingers crossed that the weather allows you to get them in the ground on Thursday.:)

marlingardener and Gail-Steman like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Last year, before I decided to skip the garden because I had so much still in the freezers, I had planted 3 or 4 bunches of Texas sweets and white onions ! Over the summer weeds grew,we didn`t plow, and just left the garden alone ! Then after the first few freezes I saw some green and went to look ! The onion starts had grown, rotted down and the roots had regrown ! I still have plenty of green onions even though I use them with most meals ! I just pull about six at a time and have them in the fridge for cooking or eating ! pretty good harvest for something I forgot about ! I have enough green onions to last all winter !

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Onion sets are on my list but not for eating. I used to be able to eat them with no problem but not in the last few years. I want to add them to my 'Bolted Plant Garden'

Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Jane you do make me laugh with the words you use for your hubby ;)

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This week "the god" came home with a five pound bag of seed potatoes--white potatoes! I'm hoping the red ones will appear for Valentine's Day! And yes, I am very easy to buy presents for.
    (An aside--new potatoes are expensive, so the food pantry doesn't get them. We always plant extra so we can "dibble" and take new potatoes to a couple of the elderly clients that always tell me that whatever I bring in fresh is "just like my daddy used to grow." Oh goody, I'm comparable to the father of an elderly person--sure hope he lived a long, long life!)

hummerbum, Gail-Steman and carolyn like this.
  8. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Jane I've never heard anyone so pleased over spuds ;)

hummerbum and Kazzawazza like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gail, I'm really just a very simple gal, and you can take "simple" to mean not fancy, or to mean a little light in the brain department!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Same here Jane as I can't stand change :(