Orange Cucumbers?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by DaphDaph, Aug 30, 2007.

1. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

Hi all! This is my first year growing cucumbers. The package of seeds stated cucumbers so I think I have cucumbers. Are the cucumbers suppose to be this orangish color before they turn green? They turned this orange shade about a week ago.
    I'm starting to think that there was a mixup at the seed factory :D
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those are cucumbers. What type did you plant?
    Did you plant Lemon cucumbers? They go from white to bright yellow to orange when overripe. Chinese cucumbers are also yellow when ripe. If you planted the standard cucumbers, some of them will go orange if they are left on the vine too long.

4. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

I found the seed packet. They are called National Pickling Cucumber. Do you think I left them on the vine too long?

Krystalrose likes this.
  5. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

If they're not very firm when you squeeze them, they're over-ripened.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like you might have left them too long, regular cucumbers only turn yellow/orange when they are over ripe. The average number of days to maturity is 50-55. I looked up the National Pickling cucumber and they are the kind that can be picked whenever the size is right for your purpose.....whatever size you like for salads or smaller for pickling.

Have you noticed a slacking off in production? As long as there are cucumbers on the vine, it will bring production to almost a halt.

Go ahead and pick them. They may be too bitter to eat, but where you live you might have time for the vine to produce more if you keep them picked.

7. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

I'll go out and squeeze them in the morning...lol...I can imagine what my husband would say if he caught me in the middle of the night squeezing cucumbers.
    Actually the 2 vines are full of all size cucumbers. I think the little lizards and the bumble bee that comes everyday at noon have done a great job with the pollunation.
    What's the best type of cucumber to plant for salads?

8. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

Toni is right. Cucumbers mature quickly. If you leave it for just one extra day or two, it will turn yellow, especially the type shown in your photo. If you leave them on vine long enough, they will even turn orange.

[​IMG]

I left the orange one on vine for a whole month for seeds. It is still edible, only a little bit sour. The dark green ones (Japanese) turns to remain green longer than the pale green ones (Korean Silver).

Pick them when they are green. When they become yeallow, the skin will not be tender and you have to peel the skin off.

When cucumbers pass its high production period (or get old), fruits will turn yellow quickly even when they are still small and young.

9. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

That's thousands of good variety seed nan1234. You've a real green thumb for that produce. ;)