Orchids

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Doghouse Riley, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

My wife likes orchids, particularly white ones. I buy them for her from time to time, paying between ten and fifteen pounds for them. When they've died off they are moved to the kitchen window sill, some produce new growth again, but half don't.

It was her birthday last week, I don't buy her things, I gave up to avoid the possible response, "That's lovely darling...err did you keep the receipt?"

It's an arrangement with which we are both happy.

So for decades I've told her, "Order what you like, tell me how much and I'll give you the money", but I always get her a nice card.
    It was her birthday towards the end of last month, so the usual arrangement was in place

A few days ago she said, "I've ordered two orchids, for my birthday can you put £120 in my account?" I thought that was rather a lot of money for two orchids, but it was what she wanted. So I said "OK."
    They arrived today before she got up. I unpacked them very carefully and put them with one I'd bought her two weeks ago.

They didn't look that good for the money.

Here they are complete with their clear pots which orchids prefer, together with moss to keep the compost damp, either side of one I bought her a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

It was only when I'd set them on the table that I realised they were artificial. It'll save me a lot of money!

Droopy, eileen, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

My wife has a sister? I dug this idea up for you to help keep them fresh and fool the casual inspector. You can "water" them with a scented essential oil to keep them in a good context. Screenshot_20211001-083815.png

eileen, waretrop and Doghouse Riley like this.
  4. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

DSC00435.JPG

I prefer real orchids - and real onions too :p

eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Unfortunately, circumstances often means that orchids are situated in unsuitable conditions, so they don't last long. We'll have the best of both worlds, I'll still buy some real orchids to add to the permanent display.

eileen, waretrop and Sjoerd like this.
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very cute... made me laugh today....

eileen likes this.