Organic or NOT

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jennah Marshall, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Jennah Marshall

Jennah Marshall New Seed

What do you think, are organic better than non organic fruits and vegetables?

2. Loading...

3. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

This is opinion only, not proven scientific fact: I like knowing what is in my food. Your mileage may vary.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Like FBG, I want to know what is in my food, but I don't buy organic at the supermarket for the vegetables and fruits we can't grow. After finding out there are no standards for "organic" honey (impossible to do because bees forage for miles), and that Brazil's definition of "organic" is non-existent, although some comestibles are sold as organic, I try to grow as best we can, and don't worry about the celery or mangoes I buy.

fatbaldguy likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I worry more about contamination from things at the big supermarkets than the nutritional benefits from organics. The only things I will buy at grocery stores are things that will be cooked. I do not buy anything pre-made like salads ect. My garden provides everything else. I can or freeze enough to last till next season. Like MG said,, I like to know what is in and on my food but I am not an organic gardener. Last I checked there was little difference in nutritional value in organics and non organic was even slightly higher.

carolyn and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Jani May

Jani May New Seed

We grow as much fruits and veggies as we can, but when I buy anything at the drocery store, i buy organic. I'd rather be safe than sorry. For many items, the price difference isnt so bad.

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

homegrown organic food is best, you know what you are eating.

carolyn likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

This is true... homegrown is the key word. commercial organic is not as safe as they would want you to think it is. it is also very expensive to buy commercial grade organic products. If I buy them I have to suit up just as I do for conventional chemicals. none of it is safe at the levels they are initially sprayed on at.